Permissions for labels and other specific fields?

Is it possible, either out of the box or through a plugin, to restrict who can edit labels and other specific fields even though that person might have overall edit rights to an issue?

Thanks.

2 answers

Security is at the issue level, not at field level. You can ,however, using javascript, make fields read-only, but this is not a security solution.

There's a plugin that promise you that, https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.quisapps.jira.jfsbut I do not tried it, nor I know if it has support for labels.

We needed a similar restrictions for the fix version/s field, so my solution was this:

- Hide the field from the standard edit issue screen

- Create special global transitions for changing it; these transition has a special screen, just with the field, and a condition of 'user is in group X', so that only users in the specified group will be able to see and use these transitions.

Unfortunately, once we upgraded to JIRA 6, the inline-edit feature ruined everything; anyone with the appropriate issue permission can edit this field now (since, as a system field, it's always displayed).

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

706 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you