I have a user that has reported they're getting a permission error response when attempting to search for a specific issue within a key project we use. When I, as an admin attempt the same thing, I get a slightly different error message that suggests I'm trying to do something for which I don't have permission ... again ... as an admin. I can get to plenty of other issues within this same project, but just not a handful of related issues ... and I'm stumped. I can't think of where to look next given the scenario ... if it were all issues in a specific project, then it would clearly point me to role/permission configuration issues ... but I'm puzzled and would appreciate any thoughts to point me in the right direction.
By the way, when attempting to use the admin tool 'permission helper' the application can't find a match to the issue numbers ... so that tool isn't providing any assistance.
After all that, I've found the answer. The issue number that was reported as inaccessible was an old issue number from an active project that had since been moved to a different project and that project had a permission scheme applied that I use to completely hide a project from our users. The confusing part was the error response when using the old issue number. Since the old issue number is referenced in the issue's change history, it was finding that and then attempting to open the issue in the second project with it's new issue number and reporting THAT as inaccessible due to the permission scheme.
Thanks for taking a look and offering your suggestions.
Nic, I've updated the issue with screenshots of the two different error responses.
I don't believe the issues have been deleted ... but it's possible. What makes me doubtful is that I get a different message when I search for a known deleted message ... one that clearly indicates the issue doesn't exist ... whereas this one is speaking to permissions.
"Bother!", said Pooh, as his only idea was proven incorrect.
It was worth checking. John Bishop has the next set of questions to ask already though - what precisely are the error messages you and the users are getting? (I'm interigued that you get slightly different errors!)
Also, have you re-indexed recently? And could someone have deleted the issues you're looking for? Can anyone see them at all?
Ok, well the indexing is good to rule it out, but the error messages unfortunately don't tell us that much - they're both kind of valid because the one you get depends
However, I do see you've got invalid issue keys. That's not good and could well be part of the problem.
Here are the two error messages being shown ... the first (with yellow background) is being seen by some users, and the second by others ... and it doesn't coincide with whether or not the user is an admin.
Oddly, the second image seems to indicate that issue 1212-29 can't be found ... but that's not the isse that was searched for ... not even close.
I'll take a look at the logs and see what I can find shortly.
A couple of things certainly don't look right here. Your logs should offer an explanation. It looks like https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Issue+can+not+be+opened+Error+When+Trying+to+Select+it+in+the+Issue+Navigator though. Please review that Knowledge base article it gives a possible cause, shows you how to verify and possibly fix the issue.
If that doesn't help, it may be something similar that has gone wrong, you may want to raise a support request at https://support.atlassian.com for Support Engineers to take a look at your complete logs.
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot