Permission for bulk change for particular role or Project

Nayanpriya Modi December 6, 2019

Currently, Bulk change permission is defined as global in Jira. Is there any way where bulk change permission can be assigned to a particular  role, group or Project?

Thanks in  Advance.

Regards,

Nayanpriya.

3 answers

1 vote
James Chan April 26, 2022

RE: Currently, Bulk change permission is defined as global in Jira. Is there any way where bulk change permission can be assigned to a particular  role, group or Project?

Short Answer: Yes.

There are 3 level of set up that I think you can play around with.

1. Create a new group such as "group-bulkchange", refer to https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/create-and-update-groups/ to find out how you can create/tweak your group access. You may need a "site-admin" in order to play around with these settings.

2. In the Global Setting (you need to be a jira admin to get in there), under Make bulk changes, add this group you created in step 1.

3. Go back to the project setting, make sure that person/group has enough access to do those bulk changes (e.g. bulk edit will need edit access).

I haven't test this out yet, but I reckon you can use permission setting in 3 in order to disallow project admin A to bulk change items within project B and vice versa.

Hope it helps

sample screenshot for point 1 

make bulk changes sample1.jpg

0 votes
Jawahar Sinha December 6, 2019
0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 6, 2019

Hi Nayanpriya,

Bulk Change permission can be restricted to some group withion the Global Permission page. Also note that Bulk operations are also subject to project specific permissions, a per documentation says:

Permission to execute the bulk operations within JIRA:
- Bulk Edit *
- Bulk Move *
- Bulk Workflow Transition
- Bulk Delete *
( * subject to project-specific permissions .)

The decision to grant the Bulk Change permission should be considered carefully. This permission grants users the ability to modify a collection of issues at once. For example, in JIRA installations configured to run in Public mode (i.e. anybody can sign up and create issues), a user with the Bulk Change global permission and the Add Comments project permission could comment on all accessible issues. Undoing such modifications may not be possible through the JIRA application interface and may require changes made directly against the database (which is not recommended).

So you need to properly configure the permission at both global and project level to restrict the bulk changes.

References:

Let us know if this answer solves your doubts,

Regards

Nayanpriya Modi December 9, 2019

Hi Jack,

I want to assign bulk change permission to a specific group/role for a particular project. This group/role should not have bulk change permission for any other project. Is this possible? If yes, how?

Regards,

Nayanpriya.

Like # people like this
James Chan April 26, 2022

@Nayanpriya Modi  please refer to my answer, you can use step 1 to allow multiple project admins in that group. then under step 3 tweak who can browse which project in order to do those bulk changes.

Suggest an answer