Percona Server JIRA 8.5

Joe Muller December 21, 2020

We're currently running an instance of Jira Server 7.13 (LTS) on CentOS Linux 7.9 and are about to upgrade to the next supported LTS release, 8.5. I noticed that the Supported Platforms (8.5) page says that Percona is not a supported database.

Our current install is as follows:
- CentOS Linux 7.9
- Apache Web Server 2.4.6
- MySQL 5.7.24-27 Percona Server
- JIRA Server 7.13.8

Per the support page, this seems to be an unsupported configuration for both 8.x and later and 7.13, but we have an active instance right now using the Percona release of MySQL Server 5.7, so I'm confused if this is a case of Atlassian not offering customer support for Percona or an actual compatibility. It seems rather suspect considering that Percona is one of the major vendors leveraging JIRA.

Any clarification from those in the know would be greatly appreciated, as I'd rather not migrate our whole database if it will still work with JIRA Server 8.5.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2020

Percona is not MySQL - it is based on it, and the core is pretty much identical, but it is not MySQL.  Atlassian do not yet support it.

The similarities mean that it's almost certain to work.  "Unsupported" does not mean "it does not work", it means "we've not tested it or worked with it enough, so we are not going to field support calls if you're using it".   (Generally, they'll try, but you will get the message that you need to move to a supported database if there's any suggestion it may be db related)

It probably will still work fine.  But you're not supported and if it goes wrong, the first suggestion you'll hear from any call for help is "move it to a supported database"

Suggest an answer