Percentage complete per story, not sprint

Susanne L May 25, 2023

My developers need to be able to document the percentage of story completed while they are still working/In Progress. This is not the same as the percentage of the sprint completed - just individual stories. Do I need to create a new field?

1 answer

1 vote
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Hello @Susanne L and welcome

If you want to have a progress bar on the story, you can create subtasks and each time you complete one, the subtask progress bar (displayed on the story ticket) will be updated.

Another way is to add the "time tracking" field and fill it in (time spent and time left available, you can record more time than the initial estimate if the workload was wrongly estimated).

If you want more options or if it's convenient let me know 

Susanne L May 25, 2023

Thanks, JM - the subtasks is more work and really doesn't solve the issue. I just need to know how much of the actual story is complete and not how much time was spent on it even if it's just three points. If a developer tells me they are "almost finished" after stand-up for two weeks, I'm curious what their definition of almost finished is.

Like Tim Jordan likes this
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

I'm not sure how you quantify the progression, but in this case I think you need to create another custom field "Story Points Progression" or whatever you want to call it. You can create an automation to monitor this value to avoid an incorrect value (ex: 8 in this field but there are only 3 story points).

You can create another text field to display the progress percentage (calculated from the two previous fields).

Like Georges SF likes this
Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

Hi @Susanne L
Welcome to the community!

The things @JM Perrot listed are great, but since you want to track story points progression, maybe a checklist app is the way for you and your team.

I can't speak for all the products on the Marketplace, but our Issue Checklist for Jira allows users to easily track progression over a checklist that is way more convenient than a list of subtasks. You can display progress over the total number of items or in percentage on your boards and in Issue Navigator.

If that sounds interesting to you, please feel free to ask follow-up questions here or reach out to us via our service portal

You can also just install the Free version or start a trial of the Pro version of our app. ;)

Cheers!

Like JM Perrot likes this
Susanne L May 25, 2023

Thanks! Checklists might work so that the other teams who are dependent on our work and us on theirs can see what part of the story is completed. We are not trying to track story points progression or time worked on a story - just where are they in the process of completion of a story so that we and the other teams can plan what part of the project can be done next. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events