Parser of xml or csv attachments

Chiara Squilloni December 23, 2019

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a way or a plugin that take the attachment of an issue (.csv or .xls), parse it and add set the value of custom fields.

I saw that exist a script runner email handler, maybe is possibile to parse the file using this plugin, is it possibile?

Thant you all for your suggestion. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2019

I know there are a lot of add-on's out there and you will probably need ScriptRunner or PowerScripts as you would need to write custom code to do this. I am guessing there is an API endpoint to do this or at least add the values. Not sure how you will be able to handle opening an attachment that is attached to an issue.

Can I ask why you're doing this? It seems like an odd thing to do. You are not adding it the data to a field but trying to actually add values to some sort of multi-select field or checkbox?

There is an add-on you can buy to allow non-admins to have access to add values to their project specific context of their select type fields that has come in handy for my team. Whenever we have a team that is always changing how they work by updating values in select fields we give them access using Custom Field Editor for Jira. 

I understand there are other unique use cases but be careful I had a team that wanted to track equipment in the field all over the country and Jira got a little wonky when we added 300 plus values to one of these fields. We redesigned the project...

Chiara Squilloni December 23, 2019

Dear Andrew,

we need to automate a process with a software that, for a specific request, send an automatic email with a xml attached. In the attach thera are some information that I need to store in the ticket because in this whay I can index some information.

The custom field aren't so many, the problem is to parse the attached, if it whas in the body I can use the plugin "email this issue" using the regular expression to parse the email body but seems that it's impossibile to have it as the email body.

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2019

Good luck. I am sure that you can find a way to make it work but I know I have never had my development team do anything like this. 

Suggest an answer