Parent Task automatically input in Field value when Sub-tasks are in a higher status

Josh Oxendale December 11, 2017

Hello,

I'm having an issue with automatic transitions in Jira Cloud. I have set post-functions using JMWE that automatically transitions my parent task when the all sub-tasks are in a higher status. For most of my transitions this works as expected, however for one of my transitions it will not work at all.

The only difference between this transition and the others is that it has a transition screen with a validator that requires "Time Spent" to be inputted before a task can transition. 

I've tried the below in the post-functions, however it does not work for me and the parent task stays in the same status. 

Post functions.JPGIs there something that I'm missing? Or is there a way that I can set parent tasks to ignore a validator without it impacting standard tasks or sub-tasks transitions?

Would ideally like to do this without having to install another plugin. 

Many thanks,

Joshua

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi Josh,

The simplest solution that I can see here is to create two different post functions. The first should set the value for your custom field in the parent issue and the second one will transition it. This way by the time the transition kicks off your parent issue will already have a value and thus will pass transition validation.

Another possible solution is to create a separate transition without any screens and validators and simply hide it from users using 'Hide transition' condition. And then use transition in your post function.

Hi Ivan,

Will this bypass the validator for "Time Spent" though? The time spent field is not a custom field, it is the time tracking function within Jira.

I will test these both now and then come back to you. Thank you.

Hi Ivan,

Thank you very much, the second option worked!

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi Josh,

Glad I could help. Have a great day!

Cheers.

Suggest an answer