Outsourcing development to external partner/agency

Adrian Baussen April 4, 2018

Hi all.

Doing a case study on JIRA.

How do I configure JIRA so I have internal users and external users (development was outsourced to an external agency)? Both parties are using JIRA. 

What would be the ideal configuration? Any ideas or even templates? 

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks. 

Regards,

Adrian 

1 answer

2 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2018

Hi Adrian,

I think, you have to explain a little bit more what the differences between external and internal users are. For Jira, they both are just users. 

Do they need to work in different projects? Do they have different permissions? 

In general, you should create project roles for your projects (internal, external) and grant permissions to these project roles.

You can also set issue security in your project. E.g. if there are some issues that only internal users should see.

But permission is a big topic in Jira. I think, you should start with this overview:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/permissions-overview-939938996.html

and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.

Adrian Baussen April 4, 2018

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your response.

a) there is one project. The way I see it is the following: the project will be done by 2 teams - Team I) consists of e.g. PO, Scrum Master etc. and a few e.g. designers but are all in the same company A.

Team II) does the actual programming and consists of team members from company B --> basically company A outsourced only the programming of the project to company B. 

Does this clarify your questions? I hope it helps. So how would I configure JIRA accordingly? Remark: Considering the development is done by company B (they play a very important part) I can basically give them access to the entire project without any restrictions? 

How would you approach the above mentioned issue?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

@Adrian Baussen, you should be clear about the roles and permissions in your project.

Have you designed a workflow already? Are there workflow transitions that should only be triggered by Team 1 or Team 2? Then you need workflow conditions for that. 

But first, I would create project roles.  There are two project roles already in your project: Administrators and Developers. 

I think, administrators are some people from Team I, developers is Team 1 and 2.

Maybe you need more project roles, e.g. Scrum Masters.

Then you have to look at the permission scheme of your project.  Look carefully at the different permissions and decide which project role or single user or group should be granted the permission. 

Suggest an answer