Outgoing mail queue config - only flushes every 10 minutes

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2020

Hi

I've noticed that our out going mail queue appears to only send mails every 10 minutes.

I was aware of a delay and watching the queue over  period showed the mails stack up until the earliest timestamp is approx 10 mins old then the queue can be seen to clear.

Is there a config that is managing this or is there some debug logging we can turn up?

Outgoing mail log doesn't show any clues.

The Mail Queue Service cron 0 * * * * ? should run every minute.

I'll set its package as debug - com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService 

best

Tom

1 answer

0 votes
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2020

Hi @Tom Lister ,

Maybe this might be because you have Batching email notifications enabled?

You can check in System -> Batching email notifications and there you will have a batching frequency and the default is 10 minutes.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

We have turned off batching recently but we a re still getting issues stackup for 8-10 mins before sending

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2021

When you flush your mail queue, do you still have the 8-10 min delay?

I'm thinking that maybe your SMTP relay could be the bottleneck.

If that's not the case then I think you should reach Atlassian support for further help

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2021

Hi

Flushed the queue and observed it took 10-12 mins before the queue was sent again.

we are using Amazon SES which does have sending limits - 14 emails per second, 50000 per day. But i would expected the queue to build up but a small number to be sent once a minute on the queue service cron schedule.

Will check if we can up the limit and see if it has a beneficial effect

Dinar Davliev February 23, 2022

@Tom Lister Hey Tom, did you manage to find the root cause of the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2022

The issue was fixed but I can't remember which step was most effective.
We upgraded our Jira and reinstalled on new servers over that time. Lots of subtle AWS config issues on our installation.

The only jira config step was to tweak the cron cycles on our mail handlers so they didn't all kick off at once. This is really the incoming ones of which we had about 30 different project mailboxes. Just nudged them to run at slightly different intervals.

Dinar Davliev March 1, 2022

@Tom Lister thank you, Tom.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events