Outgoing email from jira

Ashish Paul July 19, 2017

Hi Team,
I want to configure Jira to send email notifications for ticket creation whenever a node is down in my ticketing tool Solarwinds. Fo eg. if a node is down in solarwind jira should automatically create a ticket and send the email notification and if the node comes up in say 50 minutes ticket should be auto updated and if the node again goes down jira should update the same ticket rather than creating a new ticket. Is there any workaround for such a rule?

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2017

How are you automating this?

Actually I have'nt done anything yet, I want to confirm is it possible? And if so can you please guide me through the process.

Thanks.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2017

I can't guide you through the process, I don't really have any details from you on how you expect this to work.

• JIRA can consume emails and create them as Issues.
  • 3rd party applications can directly create issues to JIRA by using the REST API.
  • JIRA will send notifications on events, such as when an issue is created.

I would assume that you would either program SolarWinds to send these emails/API events to JIRA or that you would have a custom script that does the same.

Yes we have programmed Solarwinds to push the mail whenever a node is down, now Jira will auto create a ticket for node down. We want a process that if the node comes up in, say 15 minutes and again goes down in next 10 minutes, Jira should update the same created ticket rather than creating a new ticket for the same. We need to put the threshold value to be 4 hrs,  i.e Jira should not create a new ticket for same node for next 4 hrs.

Suggest an answer