Our server was accidentally upgraded; can it be downgraded?

admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

My server is reporting;
Database build number: 800009
JIRA app build number: 712004

The installer was accidentally run on the live system (v7.12.3) for v8.0.1.  And while the installation was cancelled, and the server remaind opreable, it altered the numbers above such that when the system was powered off, the mistake became apparent as the server will not start again with the v7.12.3, nor the v8.0.1.

I want to revert the server to the previous version (7.12.3), and experienced help would be well welcomed.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
admin admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2019

Adding this line to the ${JIRA_INSTALL}/bin/setenv.sh file provided what I required, as below;

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Djira.downgrade.allowed=true"

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2019

Unless the v8.0.1 instructions have a different backout option, you'll need to restore the backup you hopefully have from your normal maintenance schedule. If the v7.12.3 won't start I believe you'll need uninstall JIRA and install a fresh copy of v7.12.3 and restore from the backup.

Suggest an answer