Original estimates

taelor toews September 18, 2019

Hello! I've recently just figured out how to create original estimates and have it displayed on my dashboard.. but i'd like to know more detail like how long each project will take or have more visibility with the gadget- seeing all estimates listed 

2 answers

0 votes
Nicole Griffin June 15, 2022

Jira takes a number of hours entered as original estimate (370) and calculates to fit the format 4w 1d 2h - is this done by assuming only 1 resource is assigned to that issue and all of its subtasks?

If so, does jira also automatically adjust the length of time based on the number of resources assigned to an issue and its subtasks?  If not, this is really unhelpful and jira should allow us to keep the format in hours without changing to weeks/days/hours.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2022

It does not take into account resources it is just looking at total estimates and total hours recorded on the issue.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

Taelor,

Each project has a set of reports that are delivered with Jira.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/reporting-764478415.html  I would suggest using the time tracking report to view the following information:

• Original Estimate - The original estimate of the total amount of time it would take to complete this issue.
  • Estimated Time Remaining - The current estimate of the remaining amount of time it would take to complete this issue.
  • Time Spent - The amount of time spent on the issue. This is the aggregate amount of time that has been logged against this issue.
  • Accuracy- The accuracy of the original estimate compared to the current estimate for the issue. It is the difference between the sum of the Time Spent and Estimated Time Remaining fields, and the Original Estimate field.
taelor toews September 20, 2019

which one would be best to have something displayed like this 

Bob- 2 weeks 

David- 4 weeks 

Dan- 3 weeks 

Total of 9 weeks

for that specific project 

Right now It only will tell me for that specific person that i've created a filter for or one for the WHOLE team but doesn't have names or anything just a total of how much time everyone will take on their tasks for all the projects within that dashboard- there's no specific project listed or anything if this all makes sense! Like this Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 10.50.11 AM.png

taelor toews September 24, 2019

??

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2019

At the project level there is a report called workload pie chart that will give you information for that project.  

At the dashboard level I don't know and anyway to do what you are asking for without something like tempo timesheets.

Suggest an answer