Order of execution Automation, Project Automation, workflow post function

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

Hello

In my project I use the following

• Automation
  • Project Automation
  • Workflow post function ( before create) i.e. the first transition in workflow

Please let me know the order in which these are executed.

Thanks

Abe

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Hi @AbrahamA , I am not familiar with "project automation" so I cannot comment. Can you elaborate?

Assuming a Create operation here is the order...

1. Post Function - this happens as part of the create event
  2. Automation - this happens as a result of the Create after-the-fact

project automation ???

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

project_automation.JPG

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

automation.JPG

Thanks for the reply. Here is Automation vs Project Automation locations in the project menu bar.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Ok, so this is JSM. The "Automation" is part of JSM specifically. Regardless, my response still applies. I also see this is Server and that might explain project automation. Can you share the type of things you can do under Project Automation? Ultimately the order may depend on the actual automation rule/trigger. Is there some specific objective you have or just generally curious?

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

Ticket created in JSM , based on the issuetype and the reporter I need to take certain actions.

• I need to change assignee of the ticket if certain conditions are met.
  • Make workflow transition and change assignee if certain other conditions are met.

So I wrote a post function and then some automation rules.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2022

Ok so likely I would simply use Automation for both of these if possible. With that said I would need more precise details of what you're trying to accomplish to be able to offer a direct answer. I don't understand if there is a necessary order to these scenarios. Generally if I am setting up conditions in any transition then I lean to automation versus post functions. Ideally you could do this with a single rule but that depends on the details of your specific use case.

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

Thanks for providing guidance. This really helps. I cant put details here. 

I will accept answer. Thanks again.

Suggest an answer