Order of Subtasks within a Parent Task

Is there a way to change to the order sub-tasks when on the Main Screen viewing the Parent Issue? Sometimes I have to insert sub-tasks and it would be helpful to be able to control the order.

short of that , can anyone tell me how the sort is currently ordered?

9 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Jeff,

Right now there is no way to reorganize the subtasks. We do have a couple open improvement requests, here and here, but they have been open for a quite a while.

It looks like currently the subtasks are first sorted by what the subtask does (relates to, blocks, etc), in alphabetical order. Next they are sorted by what type of issue they are (bug, task, etc), and finally once more by whether they are open or closed. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Miranda

You can create a bookmarklet with the code below. Once created, you can reorder tasks by drag and drop. This re-order sticks across all users.

• Create a bookmark with this code:
javascript:(function(){jQuery(function(){jQuery("#issuetable>tbody").sortable({start:function() {old_order=getorder();} ,stop:function(event,ui){new_order=getorder();for(i=0;i<=new_order.length;i++) {id=ui.item[0].id;if(id==old_order[i])oldpos=i;if(id==new_order[i])newpos=i;} jQuery.ajax( {url:'/jira/secure/MoveIssueLink.jspa?id='+jQuery('#key-val').attr('rel')+'&currentSubTaskSequence='+oldpos+'&subTaskSequence='+newpos,} );}});function getorder(){order=[];jQuery('#issuetable>tbody').children('tr').each(function(idx,elm) {if(elm.id)order.push(elm.id)} );return order;}});})()
  • Go to an issue whose sub-tasks you wish to reorder.
  • Click on the new bookmark you created.
  • Reorder the tasks just as you'd reorder your Netflix queue.
  • Profit.

This totally works, Tanner! Thanks!

I am able to re-order, but the change doesn't stick. Thoughts ?

Best Jira tip in months! Even if it is almost a couple of years old <blush>

Jira Ninja of the Month! You should be awarded a medal!

Wow. Brilliant. Thanks @Tanner Wortham.

Works like a charm!

Wow... Major timesaver! Thanks!

Hi! I'm new to javascript, so I need a dumb-down version of step: "Create a bookmark with this code". How do I run the code and with what program?

For example, in Chrome you would go to the menu, select Bookmarks, then Bookmark Manager. Then select the folder you would like to create the bookmark in and right click it and choose Add Page. Give it a name and use the javascript code as the web page URL. Afterwards, log in to Jira, click on a task that has subtasks, and then just click the bookmark so that it can work its magic. In order to make it remember the ordering, however, I had to click on one of the "Move" arrows. See my comment below.

Thank you, @Tanner Wortham. Saved my day.

Thank you @Tanner Wortham...a lot =)

Sadly this doesn't appear to work in Firefox, or at least it doesn't in the latest version of FireFox. When I click the bookmark there is no change in functionality, at all.  :-(

@Tanner Worthamthis is a great idea and I really, really want to use it.  Do you know of any reason it won't work in Firefox, or - hoping desperately - do you have a version that'll work in Firefox?

Installed. Works Great! Recommended to my team.

I adapted @Tanner Wortham's bookmarklet into a working chrome extension, we use this in the office now. here smile you need to enable dev mode on chrome extensions to install this. thanks

For me, the Java Script and the Extension did not work (drag&drop yes, but saving the new positions did not work) so I just changed the URL behind an arrow button manually by copying the link of the arrow button into the browser URL field and changed the "subTaskSequence=" part of the URL to the new position (it´s actually the new position - 1). Not so nice but still time saving...

I tried the JavaScript Bookmark solution in IE 11 and Chrome 49.0 (on Chrome the Extension as well) on a Company Notebook which might has some restrictions...The Company uses JIRA v7.0.10

I have used the solution posted by Rob Calcroft did not need to enable Dev mode in Chrome extensions just downloaded the jave file from the link he posted and then dragged it over the extensions page and it was added fine. Thanks.

I can't believe this still works! In order to make the changes stick I had to click on any of the subtask's "Move" arrows (pretty much clicked down on the last one or up on the first one). Much faster than going one by one clicking on those move arrows.

I found a solution that I initially posted on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-8053

I managed to use the EXOCET plugin to create a new "data-panel" in order to do so :
https://valiantys.atlassian.net/wiki/display/EXO/Display+Advanced+data+panels

the JQL used to show the subtasks of the current task beeing :

issuetype in subTaskIssueTypes() ORDER BY "myCF"

Thanks Tanner...a lot =)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

290 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you