Order issues in different kanban boards independently

Thiago Borges February 20, 2018

Hi team!

Sorry if this is a simple matter, but I'm not able to figure out how to do it, if this is even possible.

We have a Service Desk kanban board that we use for the development team as a guidance to which tickets they need to prioritize and stuff. 

What I would need is a copy of that kanban board to the Ecomm executives, with the very same issues so they can prioritize as they wish. The thing is, I would need these 2 kanban boards to be independent, I mean if I change the order of an issue in the Ecomm exec board it does not reorder in the dev team board. The 2 kanban boards need to reflect the same issues but be independent on the prioritization. I don't know if I made myself clear.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Thiago Borges

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

You can't do this.

Boards are a view of a set of issues, not containers for them.  When you look at, or change issues on a board, you are affecting the issue directly, not the board.

Boards order by rank.  This is a field that exists on issues to enable Jira to put them in order.  Because the rank is a function of the issues, if you rank issues on one board, other boards are going to take the same order, because the order is between the issues.

However, you can do something a little unusual.  Create a second rank field, called something distinctly differently ("Business rank" maybe), and use that in the Exec board.

This is not really recommended though.  It's complex and confusing for the users, and if they're ranking differently, they're rapidly going to simply ignore the other team.  This is why you get your product owners (execs) into planning meetings and backlog grooming, so they can inform ranking and understand why developers are ranking differently to their expectations.

I would strongly recommend that the execs prioritise, not rank.

Suggest an answer