Order backlog by priority and manual rank

Clara Torres del Moral May 28, 2019

Dear JIRA community,

As many others, we are trying to sort the backlog using PRIORITY, and then manual rank.

This will allow:

• New issues to be automatically sorted by priority.
  • Refine the sorting using the manual rank.

We are aware this is not yet possible, but would like to ask the following questions:

• Has anybody found a decent workaround for this problem?
  • Does anybody know if this will be in the Atlassian's roadmap sometime soon?

Many thanks in advance for your kind support :)

Best regards,

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2019

Hi Clara,

As you noted this is not currently an option but the the feature request where we are tracking interest in this can be found at the link below, it combines a few different feature requests that were closed out as duplicates into the single request to add in multiple sorting option and a rank based on current sorting option.  It also notes a workaround that can be used to sort by the secondary condition with quick filters, this is still a manual process and would not apply to newly created issues which would still be added to the bottom of the backlog as new issues were created:

Please make sure to add your vote to the request to help us track continued interest in this feature per the Implementation of New Features Policy

Additionally you can change the filter to a different sorting option such as priority but the drag and drop re-rank functionality is disabled when doing so, so if you do decide to sort by anything other than rank you would want to use multiple criteria such as priority AND Created date, so that the sorting would be compiled as needed.

Regards,
Earl

Clara Torres del Moral June 3, 2019

Many thanks for your reply, will be looking forward to the development of this functionality, as it is pretty important for us :)

Best regards,

Like # people like this
Rob Lombardi October 29, 2019

I can understand not being able to break priority boundaries with a re-rank (a high item can't be above a gating item), but there really should be a way to at least re-order items within the same priority group. The query already supports secondary ORDER BY parameters. Seems reasonable to make RANK a usable secondary parameter.

Look forward to getting this capability for sure!

Like # people like this
9 votes
Rotem Hayoun-Meidav February 26, 2020

Hi Atlassian team,

Please implement this feature, this would be super useful!

The following should work (currently it doesn't work):
project = MyProject ORDER BY priority DESC, Rank ASC

Thanks!

6 votes
Mikaela Bertucci June 1, 2020

How has this not been resolved! Altassian please resolve this.. this seems to be a common issue that Product Owners could use support with. Most POs don't have a clue how to create filters etc. This should be a high priority basic feature. AND isn't this a basic query????? 

6 votes
Alec Sorensen May 6, 2020

Even if there wasn't a sort by Priority, then rank, a helpful feature would simply be a one-time "Rank by Priority" to re-rank your current backlog (and then allow you to make manual alterations afterwards). This would be destructive of the current rank, but it would incredibly helpful to periodically organize hundreds of items automatically and not by hand.

Our team was very confused about how to view the backlog by priority (which seems like it ought to be a basic feature). Judging by all the comments here, in the ticket system, on Google, a lot of people are confused by this. Either a temporary quick filter over-riding rank or the ability to rank by priority with the click would be fix this issue for us.

Markus_COGNITIFF June 15, 2020

Hi Alec,

I see it the same way - ranking is usually based on some business rule (story points, priority, effort, etc.), and it's tedious to rank issues by hand to bring the backlog in line with that rule. Our solution at COGNITIFF was precisely what you described - a one-time sort that re-ranks all uses by a chosen field (or fields). We recently packaged it as a plugin. It goes by the very original name of Sort by any Field

Cheers,

Markus

2 votes
Troy Saemann March 11, 2021

Hello,

Is this functionality still in the works? I can't stress enough how important it would be for our project to be able to ORDER BY priority DESC, Rank ASC.

Priorities set our foundation for how we view the importance of our work. However, with such a limited number of priorities to choose from, we often find these buckets full to the point of wanting to be able to designate a ranking of the issues within a priority. 

1 vote
Shwetha_Peruri June 3, 2020

Hi, 

how  to make the new tickets fall to the bottom of the backlog? I have used backlog filter ordered by rank but still the new items fall at the top of the backlog.

Our backlog is ordered top to bottom and I do not want the new items to be at the top by default.

Please help me resolve this.

0 votes
Tosin.Ojikutu August 10, 2021

I wish to automatically order by business value and then by story points. It's currently an extremely manual undertaking task to keep reordering daily :( 

deb.shapiro July 13, 2023

Hi @Tosin.Ojikutu thank you for brining up this topic. Have you been able to resolve it?

Best,

Deb

Suggest an answer