Optional level in hierarchy

Coco S Chaussée May 9, 2022

We have implemented Scaled Agile, and some portfolios are requesting the Large Solution (SAFe) which requires an extra level in the hierarchy.  We currently have

Initiative -> Epic -> Story that would become Initiative -> Capability -> Epic -> Story
but we don't want the capability level to be mandatory and allow Epics to link to Initiatives or Capabilities.

How do we do that?

Thanks in advance

Coco

3 answers

1 vote
Jorge Martinez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2022

Hi @Coco S Chaussée I think that a custom relation combined with Structure for Jira Add-On could be useful to present a customized portfolio views including upper hierarchies.

For example: I've defined my epics as features or releases that impact my KRs and KRs impacts my Objetives. With a correct configuration I've generated this view:

image.png

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 23, 2022

Hi @Coco S Chaussée

If you consider using a plugin - BigPicture may be a good match (this tool was inspired by the SAFe framework). In BigPicture, you can create automatic rules for a no-limited number of WBS levels. Task Structure can be created based on both build-in task attributes (e.g., Epic link, Component, Version, Sprint) as well as Jira links. 

Please let me know if you have more questions. 
0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 9, 2022

Hi @Coco S Chaussée 

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy at any level. If you are fine with a marketplace app to visualize the tree hierarchy based on the issue links, you can try out

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

Key features:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Suggest an answer