Open JIRA issue by entering issue-key into browser address field

John Conklin II May 6, 2019

Once upon a time there was a tip/trick that allowed you to just enter an issue-key (BUG-1234) into the browser's address field, and it would open the ticket.

I can't seem to find how to do it, not sure if that technique is outdated or if my google-fu is failing.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

Still should work - format is <Jira base url>/browse/BUG-123

John Conklin II May 6, 2019

Sorry, let me clarify:

I would be able to enter ONLY the issue-key, such as "BUG-1234" into the browser's address bar, and nothing else.

So, if I'm in a meeting and someone says "Take a quick look at bug 1234, I just type "BUG-1234" and it works.

There was a setup to it that I only vaguely remember. I think it was a bookmarklet maybe?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2019

Ah, right, yes, that's a browser add-on or tweak. 

In Chrome, you can do things like adding https://jira base url/secure/QuickSearch.jspa?searchString=%s with a key of "tracker" or whatever you call your Jira system (I have access to a lot, so I don't just use "Jira"), then Tracker BUG-1234 should go straight there.

For Firefox (and most others, but I only use Chrome and Firefox variants), it's a bit more clunky - you can add Atlassian applications as search engines, but the url bar will use the default, and you probably don't want to lose duckduckgo for default searches when you hit enter.  A Jira search will appear in the bar beneath though, so "issue key + click on jira icon" will jump you straight to your issue.

2 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2019

Hi @John Conklin II 

IF you are using Chrome (the only one I ever use) go to manage search engines. If your Jira instance is in there (or add it if it's not) the way this works for me is:

Type Jira and then <tab> at which point the bar changes to "Search Jira" and you can type in the issue number from there. 

Ryan Otteson July 14, 2021

This is the proper solution! thank you!

Like Thomas Juettemann likes this

Suggest an answer