One project, multiple boards, duplicate issues

James Clifford January 2, 2020

Hi!

I am using Jira as a project management and business management tool and ran into an issue today that I can't seem to find an answer to on other threads in the community with similar keywords. 

Here's the problem: I created a project called "New Unit Onboarding" and then created 4 boards within the project for individual Onboardings of units in different markets that all have the same basic list of tasks to complete.

I duplicated the boards so that I didn't have to enter the stories on the backlog over and over for each board. Now when my teams have marked a story as done on one board, the story disappears on another board that the story has yet to be completed for. How can I avoid this from happening and keep the backlogs within each board as standalone?

I do not have a tech background so it has been hard to understand some of the inner workings of Jira. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! 

1 answer

0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay January 2, 2020

Board is just a view in Jira. If you mark a story done on one board it will appear as done on all board.

I am not clear on exact issue you are facing. However, to avoid creating same tasks/story again and again you can create a template story(Same as story just name as template) and copy new story from it for each onboarding. Never close the template story.

Hi Subhendu,

Thanks for your reply! 

What you are saying in regard to a "board" being just a view in Jira makes some sense. 

The problem I am facing is that I want to duplicate a list of stories and epics over and over again without entering the stories one by one. The projects I am trying to manage follow the same list of stories each time they are kicked off

I am thinking the best solution for me is to create separate projects for each Onboarding round and, unfortunately from the research I have done, there is no way to completely clone a project in Jira without the use of 3rd party apps. 

Do you think that is the best route available?

Even if you create multiple projects you have to create all stories again. Why not try coping stories from a template stories?

If you are using classic project create custom schema for workflow, issue, screen etc. And use the same schema for all projects. That way you don't have to copy all configurations.

Are you suggesting cloning each story one by one from a template story for each of the 70 stories I would need in each new project? 

I have never set any schema so I am either using the default or don't have them set up. 

What I need to do is simply duplicate projects but that doesn't seem to be possible. 

No that is not nice!

Probably I don't understand your requirement. Can you give me more details? I thought your requirement was to track "New Unit Onboarding" for 4 teams.  Copying from a template will allow to create stories in same project.

If you can share some sample I can probably help you by giving some idea. 

If it is absolutely necessary to create 70 stories, you can create them in excel and import. That is much faster way. Copy is efficient only if you are creating few stories

Suggest an answer