One or many projects

Deon Hills December 30, 2014

Good day,

Could you please supply me with some advice on what approach to adopt.

Our company has one small team managing many (several 100s) mini website projects. Basically, we engage with the client who requires a website. We have some design sessions from where the website is developed and published on behalf of the client. Once deployed it enters into a maintenance structure where I could manage it using JIRA Service Desk.

I do not however want to create a new project for each of these mini websites projects as it will become unmanageable from a list of projects perspective.

What is your suggestion for setting this up in JIRA?

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2014

Hi,

May be using the components, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Component

will help you to manage it better. Have it within one project in JIRA, but for each website use own component.

This way it is always easy to organize/group reports. A component name could be your website name.

Will this work for you?

0 votes
Deon Hills December 30, 2014

Hi Sash,

Thank you for your response. I had a look at utilizing components, but then I sit with the question of what Board do I use. Would this be best suited for a Scrum or Kanban Board? I still need to manage the tasks within each website development and prioritize by Website/Deadline. Tasks would consist of things like Wire-frame Design/Client Approval, HiFi Design/Client Approval, Dynamic Data Processing, HTML/Java Script Development, QA/Client Approval and Publish. Could I view my Backlog items by Component/website? Also would the burn down report also be grouped this way?

I also thought of utilizing Epics within one project or maybe a combination of both?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2014

I'd use components. The filter for a board can use the component value

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2014

Sorry, missed your comment... yes, the board has a component value and it seems logical to have your tasks split by "component". As epics are more like initiatives and they can span across components. I hope this can scale to your number of websites (components)... not talking about performance, but more about usability

Suggest an answer