On hold- is there a way to get Off hold without having to change each transition?

Darren Weaver January 30, 2018

Currently we have a fairly large workflow where I've added a status of "on hold" that can be transitioned to from any status.  The problem is taking the ticket "off hold".  Is there a method, plugin, etc. that can take the ticket off hold and transition back to the status where it left off prior to being put on hold?

User story:

User A creates a defect ticket type.  User A clicks begin analysis to triage the defect.  User A clicks "ready for development".  The ticket is then put in development queue and assigned to a development group.  User B (the developer) takes the ticket by assigning it to him/herself and begins work.  User B has been assigned by his manager to another ticket so he needs to put this one on hold.  He clicks "on hold" (which is a transition for all statuses) and the status changes to on hold. 

Here's where the problem starts;  it would be amazing if User B could click "take off hold" and pick up where he left off. 

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2018

Hi Darren,

There is a good article by Valiantys titled How to move issues back to a previous status in JIRA workflows that can help you achieve this:

Build Your JIRA Workflow

• Create a global transition to the ‘On Hold’ status
  • Create a transition from the ‘On Hold’ status to every other status you want to come back to

Add conditions to transitions

• Since you don’t need to transition from the ‘On Hold’ and ‘Done’ to ‘On Hold’ status, we will hide them! To do this, add the value field condition on the global transition to the ‘On Hold’ status.
  • On each ‘Back to previous status’ transition, add the Previous Status condition, selecting the correct status in the options. For example, on the transition from ‘On Hold’ to ‘In Progress’.

How to move issues back to a previous status in JIRA workflows for the full set of instructions with screenshots.  Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Branden

Darren Weaver February 1, 2018

Appreciate the response- this would work nicely however I can't get a valid estimate as to how much the plug-in would cost.  Anyone have any experience with this plugin? If it's less than 1K one-time fee then I think we're ok- otherwise I'll need to go into each transition and add the on hold functionality.

Tech ProjectMgr March 16, 2018

Actually, if I understand this correctly, individual unique transitions still are required to move from the On Hold status back to the previous status. That is currently a function of the native JIRA Cloud Software and does not require the add-on.

In looking at the add-on, it doesn't seem to allow an easier solution other than making X transitions to return to X statuses. If it does, please show us how to do that since workflows with more than 3 steps become time intensive in building these conditions.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer