On an issue workflow transition, can the assignee field only search a project role?

Deleted user August 15, 2017

Hello,

I would like to set up a workflow transition with a transition screen that allows the user to select an assignee (this part was easily done). The assignee field however MUST only reference assignees within a certain Project Role? 

Is this possible?

Do I need a plugin?

Thanks,

Danny

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

The content of the assignee field is controlled with permissions.

If your permission scheme says something like "Role: developers", then it will only list (and allow selection of) people in that role.

Deleted user August 15, 2017

Hi Nic,

Unfortunately I am not sure I understand your answer. Can this be done? How?

I would assume it is an advanced workflow configuration. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Danny

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

When the assignee list is drawn up, JIRA looks at the permission scheme for the project.

It only lists people who match the "can be assigned issues" rule in there.

So, if you have a rule like "can be assigned issues:  Role (developer)", then only people in that role will appear in the assignee list.

You don't need properties, just the right permissions and people in the role.

Deleted user September 20, 2017

Can this be done on creation of the issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2017

Yes, the permission scheme applies throughout.  Look in the permission scheme for "can be assigned issues" and set it to say "Role: X"

Hi Nic,

I assumed the permission scheme applies to the overall project it is applied to and not one issue type within the project. Have I misunderstood?

Thanks,

Danny 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2017

No, that's correct.  You had not mentioned "by issue type" before.

Ah, apologies Nic.

Yes it is for only one issue type within a project. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2017

Ok, that's where you can use workflow properties.

Get the permission right for the general case for all issues in the project

Define a workflow for the project

Define a workflow for the single issue type

Tie them together in a workflow schem so that your special issue type uses the dedicated workflow

In the dedicated workflow, you can alter the permissions, including "assignable user" when the issue is in each status.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/workflow-properties-861253674.html

Deleted user October 19, 2017

Hi Nic,

Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible within JIRA at this time.  JRACLOUD-6126 

Thanks for the response though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events