On an issue workflow transition, can the assignee field only search a project role?

Danny Harris Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

Hello,

I would like to set up a workflow transition with a transition screen that allows the user to select an assignee (this part was easily done). The assignee field however MUST only reference assignees within a certain Project Role? 

Is this possible?

Do I need a plugin?

Thanks,

Danny

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

The content of the assignee field is controlled with permissions.

If your permission scheme says something like "Role: developers", then it will only list (and allow selection of) people in that role.

Danny Harris Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

Hi Nic,

Unfortunately I am not sure I understand your answer. Can this be done? How?

I would assume it is an advanced workflow configuration. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Danny

When the assignee list is drawn up, JIRA looks at the permission scheme for the project.

It only lists people who match the "can be assigned issues" rule in there.

So, if you have a rule like "can be assigned issues:  Role (developer)", then only people in that role will appear in the assignee list.

You don't need properties, just the right permissions and people in the role.

Danny Harris Community Champion Sep 20, 2017

Can this be done on creation of the issue?

Yes, the permission scheme applies throughout.  Look in the permission scheme for "can be assigned issues" and set it to say "Role: X"

Hi Nic,

I assumed the permission scheme applies to the overall project it is applied to and not one issue type within the project. Have I misunderstood?

Thanks,

Danny 

No, that's correct.  You had not mentioned "by issue type" before.

Ah, apologies Nic.

Yes it is for only one issue type within a project. 

Ok, that's where you can use workflow properties.

Get the permission right for the general case for all issues in the project

Define a workflow for the project

Define a workflow for the single issue type

Tie them together in a workflow schem so that your special issue type uses the dedicated workflow

In the dedicated workflow, you can alter the permissions, including "assignable user" when the issue is in each status.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/workflow-properties-861253674.html

Danny Harris Community Champion Oct 19, 2017

Hi Nic,

Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible within JIRA at this time.  JRACLOUD-6126 

Thanks for the response though.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you