Official Atlassian support for JIRA on Docker

Kent Brockman May 20, 2016

Hi

It looks like Atlassian is containerizing a handful of their products here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/ which is great!  We are using JIRA Core for internal work tracking and it is a great tool.  We hope to get more benefit out of the tool with some small customizations and a containerized JIRA instance for local development (and possibly even deployment) would make it even more awesome!  Are there any plans to add JIRA to this list of supported containers?  

If not, do you recommend any of the community made JIRA containers?  Here are a couple:

I'm also curious to know what the licensing details are - for example, can we use a temporary evaluation license for local development and then have a license for the deployed or production version?

Let me know!

16 answers

1 accepted

27 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2018

UPDATE 2019-08-16: 

tl;dr: We now have official Docker images for Jira! You can find them at https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian

One of the reasons I love working here is how willing our engineering teams are to take a side project from someone on our support team (like me!), build on it and collaborate on a comprehensive solution together. Any other workplace would've ignored my little project and started from scratch.

Since we decided to use dchevell/jira-* as a starting point we've been working hard to improve these images and add all the orchestration-from-the-environment features I could never find time for on my own. From this point on, look no further than our Atlassian Docker Hub account for our Jira images (as well as our official Confluence and Bitbucket images). 

Hope you like them!

ORIGINAL ANSWER:

Hey folks,

Whilst there's no official Docker support for Jira, I maintain unofficial images for all Atlassian Server product that don't provide official images here: https://hub.docker.com/r/dchevell

These are developed and maintained using the same approach, tooling and automated release process as our official images. They're great tools for testing and evaluating our products!

Simon Logan July 23, 2018

Hi Dave,

I notice there's an 'official' image for BitBucket Server. We were thinking about moving to BitBucket Data Centre for high availability. Would it be possible to do this using a Docker image in Kubernetes?

Regards,

Simon

Xiziza Yuh January 19, 2019

Hi @dchevel

Your container is very stable, we are using it for months.
Would be great to have Docker as an official supported platform.

I just voted for JRASERVER-63993.

Like # people like this
Brian_Topping January 26, 2019

Hi @Dave Chevell, thanks so much for your continued work on these images.

It's been a few years since I last deployed the Atlassian suite, but wasn't thinking about Docker support for Atlassian when I overhauled the small-footprint stack (only 1U) I have in the colo. I recently completed moving everything to Kubernetes. Suddenly, I realize I was almost stuck. Your images saved me, and having them come from someone on staff was a really important consideration for me.

I have been using the Atlassian suite since codehaus.org days, Mike and Scott would be on IRC with us. Things have come a very long way since then. 

Hopefully you and your efforts lead to additional first-class support for Docker images, at least across the most critical apps that haven't been finished yet, like JIRA. 

Like # people like this
Karolis Eigelis June 8, 2019

Hi @Dave Chevell ,

That's great job! Are you willing to provide Dockerfile and builds for your images ?

And also i would be very much insterested in Crowd Data Center docker image. At the moment i do not see configurable environmental variable for building cluster like bitbucket docker image has. Any plans for such improvements to be available in a near future ?

Thanks

Like Dave Chevell likes this
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2019

@Karolis Eigelis all of these images are hosted and built on Bitbucket Pipelines! You can find them here:

As for Crowd, although I haven't written anything in the README about Data Center, the image can be used for that. You can just configure each node with the reverse proxy configuration - as Crowd doesn't use Hazelcast there's no additional configuration needed for a DC installation.

Like # people like this
Karolis Eigelis June 12, 2019

Hi @Dave Chevell

Would be great if you could provide Crowd src repository you use for building docker images, that would be very usefull!

Philipp Gillé June 24, 2019

Hi @Dave Chevell , the current `dchevell/jira-software` image with the `latest` tag (as of 2019-06-24) leads to a ClassNotFoundException at startup. It was pushed 10 days ago. The `7` tag works fine, which was pushed 6 days ago.

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
June 24, 2019

@Philipp Gillé I can't reproduce this, if you can open an issue on the Bitbucket repo with more detail, the exact `docker run` command you're using etc. I'd be happy to look into this for you!

Philipp Gillé June 24, 2019

Might be related to Windows or the Docker version, I just tried it on my Linux machine and couldn't reproduce it there myself, but definitely reproducable on my coworker's Windows machine. I created an issue in Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/dchevell/docker-atlassian-jira-software/issues/8/classnotfoundexception-when-using-latest. Thanks for offering help!

Normann P_ Nielsen _Netic_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

@Dave Chevell 

as for such docker images as

What is the officel status of support from Atlassian, can they deny or add support-costs according to their policies?

I have a customer that is eager for Azure/docker etc .... but have advised against it, as the systems are critical for the Organisation.

BR,

Normann

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

Their documentation doesn't speak anything using official images only. It just says we support jira on docker from 8.x. I would think they only support official images.

Also, they don't really add additional support costs afaik. They are good with providing support.

thesefer August 19, 2019

New URL seems to be, for all projects

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/

Like # people like this
5 votes
steve
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2019

Hi teams,

I'm the PM responsible for Docker - happy to let you know we're working on these images right now - firstly porting over @Dave Chevell's amazing original work and then making some changes and ensuring our support team are equipped to handle enquiries on them.

We're still working on the assumption that this is a "reference" implementation, but we'd love to hear feedback and get your thoughts on what is missing and we're also looking at our PR acceptance criteria. 

Feel free to suggest changes, improvements or concerns and I'm happy to talk through any of our work.

You can grab offical Jira Docker images here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software

If you have any Jira related issues, you can raise a support request, if you have any issues configuring or deploying our docker images you can troubleshoot on our Bitbucket repo at https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/src/master/ and if you've got any Docker specific, architecture or support concerns please contact them.

I'm working on creating a support structure around Docker so in the meantime you can either raise a support request directly or direct your enquiry to me and the team. I'll let you know once I've setup the correct support channel for feature requests and bugs.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Henrik_Høegh August 19, 2019

I don't get it @Steve

Why not support the community instead?

We created ASK about 1.5 year ago supporting Server and Data Center of both Jira, Bitbucket and Confluence on both Docker hosts and Kubernetes.

Its open source. It has helm charts. Ready to go. 

steve
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

Hi @Henrik_Høegh, I'm not entirely sure which community ones you're referencing - however while we encourage led efforts with community based support we're constantly re-evaluating what our customers need from a support perspective and adjusting accordingly.

Our templates are open, easily adaptable and we're working on our support plans for them now. We'd welcome and encourage contributions and improvements and as always are happy to hear your feedback.

Talk soon,
Steve.

Like Ijeoma Ekeh likes this
thesefer August 19, 2019

In your documentation to be found here:

https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software/
or
https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/

There is written that the following JDBC driver classes are supported
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver
org.postgresql.Driver
but the following ones are NOT included in the release
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver

Trying Insight it tells me that the two mentioned above cannot be found! The drivers are missing. only mssql and postgresql are supported by files.

Best regards

Tim Soslow August 19, 2019

@thesefer I believe that Atlassian cannot bundle those drivers due to licensing issues. Look at these articles for the driver to download:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-oracle-938846856.html

If you don't want to alter/extend the Dockerfile, you'll simply need to copy the driver into your docker container (example has the container named "jira"):

docker cp mysql-connector-java-5.1.47.jar jira:/opt/atlassian/jira/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.47.jar

Then restart the docker container.

Karanbir Singh August 22, 2019

An internal error occurred and we are unable to complete Jira setup

Error writing database configuration file.

You can try to restart Jira setup or contact.

Configuring your database @Steve

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
August 22, 2019

@singh981 Can you pull the latest version of the image and try again?

Also, at this point it may be worth creating a new post with more detail if you run into an issue - trying to capture every report inside this post may mean some get overlooked

Karanbir Singh August 22, 2019

@Dave Chevell 

i tried the most recent one, created fresh volume and it was not working for me.

your image was working for me :-) for 8.3.1

and atlassian’s recent which I think was 8.3.2 was giving me error, I will try add more details soon, what details would you need? Like logs? Or?

José Pablo Hernández August 22, 2019

I am also having an issue with Atlassian's most recent image when trying to configure the database. The problem I am having is that the dbconfig.xml file gets created with root as the owner, but the correct owner should be jira, as that is the user running the Java process:

root@4ca743fe5aa9:/var/atlassian/application-data/jira# ls -la
total 4
drwx------. 9 jira jira 140 Aug 23 06:49 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 18 Aug 23 06:42 ..
drwxr-x---. 3 jira jira 23 Aug 23 06:49 caches
drwxr-x---. 3 jira jira 25 Aug 23 06:49 data
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1002 Aug 23 06:49 dbconfig.xml
drwxr-x---. 2 jira jira 6 Aug 23 06:49 export
drwxr-x---. 4 jira jira 37 Aug 23 06:49 import
-rw-r-----. 1 jira jira 0 Aug 23 06:49 .jira-home.lock
drwxr-x---. 2 jira jira 32 Aug 23 06:49 log
drwxr-x---. 5 jira jira 76 Aug 23 06:49 plugins
drwxr-x---. 3 jira jira 26 Aug 23 06:49 tmp

If I log into the container and do a chown to jira:jira on the dbconfig.xml file, then I am able to configure the database without issues. This is my env info:

Docker version 17.05.0-ce, build 89658be
# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="CentOS Linux"
VERSION="7 (Core)"
ID="centos"
Karanbir Singh August 23, 2019

So workaround is awesomely cracked, thanks

and @Dave Chevell are we planning proper fix for this?

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

Looking into it @José Pablo Hernández 

Like José Pablo Hernández likes this
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

PR is open with a fix! Bear with us as we take a bit of time to sanity check and test before pushing an update.

José Pablo Hernández August 23, 2019

Perfect @Dave Chevell thank you :-)

Any tentativeness for resolution?

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

The fix has been merged @Karanbir Singh @José Pablo Hernández 

You can watch the progress of our images being rebuilt and published here: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/addon/pipelines/home#!/results/602

Thanks 

Luca Eichler August 23, 2019

Hi, I also have a problem with setting up this image. I want to run Jira Software in a Datacenter configuration, but Postgres and H2 both result in exceptions when generating.

I've tried to run the image with and without the preconfigured database variables, but whenever the database is first started, this exception pops up:

2019-08-23 09:17:46,464 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [c.a.jira.startup.ComponentContainerLauncher] A fatal error occurred during initialisation. JIRA has been locked.
net.sf.ehcache.CacheException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.init(CacheManager.java:426)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.<init>(CacheManager.java:270)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.newInstance(CacheManager.java:1116)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.newInstance(CacheManager.java:1092)
at com.atlassian.jira.component.pico.registrar.CacheManagerRegistrar.getCacheManagerDelegate(CacheManagerRegistrar.java:264)
at com.atlassian.jira.component.pico.registrar.CacheManagerRegistrar.registerCacheManager(CacheManagerRegistrar.java:162)
at com.atlassian.jira.component.pico.registrar.ContainerRegistrar.registerCacheManager(ContainerRegistrar.java:3923)
at com.atlassian.jira.component.pico.registrar.ContainerRegistrar.registerComponents(ContainerRegistrar.java:3870)
at com.atlassian.jira.component.pico.ComponentManager.createFullContainer(ComponentManager.java:209)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.ComponentContainerLauncher.populateFullPicoContainer(ComponentContainerLauncher.java:50)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.ComponentContainerLauncher.start(ComponentContainerLauncher.java:30)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$postDbLaunch$2(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:140)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrEnqueue(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:301)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.doNowOrWhenDatabaseActivated(DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl.java:196)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.postDbLaunch(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:137)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.lambda$start$0(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:104)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.devspeed.JiraDevSpeedTimer.run(JiraDevSpeedTimer.java:31)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher.start(DefaultJiraLauncher.java:102)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initSlowStuff(LauncherContextListener.java:154)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.initSlowStuffInBackground(LauncherContextListener.java:139)
at com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener.contextInitialized(LauncherContextListener.java:101)
... 5 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.sf.ehcache.config.ConfigurationHelper.createCachePeerProviders(ConfigurationHelper.java:138)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.configure(CacheManager.java:795)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.doInit(CacheManager.java:471)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.init(CacheManager.java:395)
... 29 more

My Configuration is a docker-compose.yml (for easy scaling):

version: '3'

services:
apache:
build: ./apache-proxy # A custom Apache2 Dockerfile, not relevant to the problem i think
volumes:
- ./apache-proxy/conf-enabled:/etc/apache2/conf-enabled
- ./apache-proxy/sites-enabled:/etc/apache2/sites-enabled
ports:
- "8080:80"
- "8443:443"
restart: always
postgres:
image: postgres:9.1
environment:
- "POSTGRES_USER=jira"
- "POSTGRES_PASSWORD=password"
volumes:
- postgresData:/var/lib/postgresql/data
jira-datacenter:
image: atlassian/jira-software
volumes:
- sharedJiraVolume:/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/shared
command: sh -c "chown jira:jira -R /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/shared && /entrypoint.py -fg" # Workaround for another small issue, where the shared home is owned by root
environment:
- "CLUSTERED=true"
- "ATL_PROXY_NAME=localhost"
- "ATL_PROXY_PORT=8080"
- "ATL_JDBC_USER=jira"
- "ATL_JDBC_PASSWORD=password"
- "ATL_JDBC_URL=jdbc:postgresql://postgres:5432/jira"
- "ATL_DB_DRIVER=org.postgresql.Driver"
- "ATL_DB_TYPE=postgres72"
depends_on:
- apache
- postgres
volumes:
sharedJiraVolume:
postgresData:

@Dave Chevell  you rock bro

I was able to use atlassian image without any bigger issues

I would like to bring into notice I got this message while doing setup

23-Aug-2019 11:03:36.785 WARNING [ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]] org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve.notifyStuckThreadDetected Thread [http-nio-8080-exec-5] (id=[22]) has been active for [120,219] milliseconds (since [8/23/19 11:01 AM]) to serve the same request for [https://my.domain.in/setupprogress?askingAboutStep=plugins&_=1566558171597] and may be stuck (configured threshold for this StuckThreadDetectionValve is [120] seconds). There is/are [1] thread(s) in total that are monitored by this Valve and may be stuck.
java.lang.Throwable
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.jira.setup.AsynchronousJiraSetup.getStatusOnceStepIsDone(AsynchronousJiraSetup.java:77)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.SetupProgressFilter.doFilter(SetupProgressFilter.java:34)
at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:32)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:199)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:493)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.StuckThreadDetectionValve.invoke(StuckThreadDetectionValve.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:660)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:798)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:808)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1498)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

It is not bothering me, as am able to setup and it is working good

Community rocks, cheers

Like Dave Chevell likes this
Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

@Luca Eichler @can you pull the image again and retry this? We pushed a fix for all 8.x (4.x for Service Desk) images so whether you pull the `latest` tag or a specific version tag, you should pull the fixed version. 

thesefer August 26, 2019

@Tim SoslowFor this to work you would need an persistent opt. Else changes to this directory get lost on restart/down/start (not down -v).

Like chrisferagotti likes this
4 votes
ivantichy May 25, 2016

There is a Docker image for JIRA with Dockerfile: https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/

You can use trial licence in container then throw it away and keep data.

3 votes
Daniel Andrew Felipe February 7, 2017

+1 for the question. We're currently mulling whether to deploy JIRA via these community made containers or just stick to using a VM and deploy via installer.

My concern is that if went for the container route, we might not get the support we need afterwards if run into any issues.

2 votes
Andrew_Vella June 29, 2017

Response from Atlassian support:

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support!

There are no official plans to publish JIRA on Dockerhub.

It seems it is possible to run JIRA on Docker with a lot of customisation but it isn't supported officially.

This might change in the future but for the moment it is all done by the Atlassian Community and not Officially by Atlassian.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Sjauw Mook
Atlassian Support

Stéphane Desneux July 3, 2017

Indeed, your message is a reply to the question even if the answer is not acceptable for customers.

Having "no official plans" to support your products on Docker is just ridiculous and very questionable... But I should recognize it's new :) Your company, as many others, are used to "enhance" the reality.

At least, saying that there's no plan definitely helps !

Thanks.

Stéphane Desneux July 3, 2017

Sorry Andrew :) I just saw that you quoted somehow Jeffrey's answer: this reply was not for you directly, but for Jeffrey (who may not even read the message...  :\ )

Torben Hoeft July 12, 2017

I ask myself if the support engineers are in sync with each other!?

I talked to an Atlassian support engineer at an event about our plans to move to JIRA Datacenter. He suggested me to first dockerize our JIRA because this makes scaling Datacenter so much easier...

Fair enough that they don't ship it as a docker container, but why should they not support a JIRA running inside docker? There should be no difference for the application if it runs inside docker or not, it is "only" a JAVA web app.

Allen July 12, 2017

There are some unofficial JIRA/Docker containers out there but you're right. No reason why JIRA shouldn't be able to be fully containerized. Confluence is out there from Atlassian and working fine in a container, why not JIRA and JSD?

James Brown April 13, 2018

Hi Atlassian,

Is there any update to the possibility of Atlassian creating a JIRA Enterprise Docker container?

Richard Lundin April 14, 2018

Also want an update regarding docker version of Jira.

ivantichy April 17, 2018

You can use this: https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/

I did an update to 7.9.0. 

John Gill April 23, 2018

+1 for an official atlassian JIRA docker.

It seems odd that there is an official docker for Confluence, Bamboo agents and bitbucket server (which appear to be very recently updated), but no JIRA.

Quentin Barnard May 8, 2018

+1 think the same here. Other products are there except Jira?

@@ May 19, 2018

Why isn't there a docker for JIRA????

David Malmquist June 14, 2018

Their goal is to get everyone running on a cloud provider over to Data Center

alexander arseny July 1, 2018

+1, I also think they should create an official container. 

kalpkot April 3, 2019

+1, I also think that there should be an official container for Jira too since that make the deployment and setup of tool simpler.

1 vote
Tim Soslow August 7, 2019

It appears that Atlassian now officially supports Jira on Docker: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software
https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira/src/master/

@Dave Chevell is it possible to submit PRs? It looks like it's currently missing the ability to add internal or trusted proxies via tomcat RemoteIpValve.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2019

I saw these new images on docker hub as well. But couldn't find any documentation which says JIRA is officially supported on docker. Can someone from Atlassian confirm if these images can be used production?

We are definitely looking to containerize all our atlassian applications.

José Pablo Hernández August 15, 2019

+1 I came across this thread looking for the same answer. The Confluence image states clearly it is the Atlassian Official server image, but this is not the case for the Jira image referenced by Tim Soslow.

Maybe @Dave Chevell can explain us if we could get support from Atlassian, if we run Jira on a AdoptOpenJDK 8 based image for example. And I mean support for the software and not the environment itself, as Docker is clearly out of scope for Atlassian.

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2019
José Pablo Hernández August 15, 2019

Thanks @jira guy that kind of support statement was the one I was looking for. That means we could eventually run our own Docker images and still get support from Atlassian!

1 vote
Mehmet Şirin Usanmaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2019

Docker Container for JIRA 8.0.0

https://hub.docker.com/r/musanmaz/jira

1 vote
1 November 21, 2018

I can't understand why they havn't dockerized Jira and Confluence, yet... Nowadays, if you didn't dockerized, even kubernetized your apps, you're from the very past.

1 vote
zcalusic June 3, 2018

Another unofficial container for JIRA Core available here: https://hub.docker.com/r/zcalusic/atlassian-jira-core/

It's based on the latest Oracle Server JRE. Been using it last several months with lots of success. Typically I upgrade soon after the new JIRA release.

zcalusic November 30, 2018

JIRA Core 7.13.0 now available, based on AdoptOpenJDK HotSpot JRE, font issues resolved, added Apache Tomcat Native Library.

It has been working great!

1 vote
Rich Kucera May 23, 2017

I have deleted my obsolete answer...

I wouldn't hesitate to run in linux containers,  but someone else has taken over and they will move the whole thing to windows server.    Partly at fault is MySQL replication and Atlassian lack of support for MySQL.    MSSQLServer is easy to achieve HA.   From there it is not much of a leap to have the whole thing on windows native install.

0 votes
k0d3d_ January 10, 2020

I found this on this community.

Ill try it out right now. https://github.com/codeclou/docker-atlassian-jira-data-center

0 votes
Amit Jambusaria November 22, 2019

Does anyone here have an example Helm chart for - https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software ?

0 votes
chrisruscio November 13, 2019

@Dave Chevell +1 for submitting PRs

The image doesn't seem to fully support TLS, Microsoft SQL Server, or running as a non-privileged user. I had to override dbconfig.xml.j2 and server.xml.j2 with support for additional parameters. I'd be happy to contribute that back in a PR if there was a way to do so.

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2019

You can fork our repos and open pull requests if you wish! 

I've updated the images with support for running as a non-privileged user (certain files can therefore not be bootstrapped, as they are locked down with root only write privileges for security reasons, but you can mount your own copies into the image to overwrite them instead if you need) as well as fixed an issue where we were hardcoding a database schema name value which was breaking MSSQL. All published tags for all versions have been updated with these fixes so you can pull whatever you're using and you should be fine.

0 votes
Dan Koester December 7, 2018

I am relatively new to containers, I know these are not official but does anyone run jira in docker in production? Can it be used if you have a load balanced setup?

Dave Chevell
Atlassian Team
December 13, 2018

Whilst not official, dchevell/jira-software provides experimental Data Center support. Check out the Data Center configuration section of the readme for all of the available environment variables that can be used to configure clustering.

Henrik_Høegh January 17, 2019

Yes, we have companies running ASK (Atlassian Software in Kubernetes) in both server and data center mode in production.

Heres an old video, before we made helm charts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUvCZXqPZI

testdockerhub March 24, 2019

why Atlassian do not have yet Jira Official Container ???

Like # people like this
Dan Koester June 3, 2019

I see Jira just changed the issue from gathering interest to under consideration and possibly on the short term roadmap!

I was able to get the dchevell images working in a load balanced config, works good.

Question, are all your major version images ubuntu based? I see your docker file uses adoptopenjdk/openjdk8:slim and that is ubuntu based but I see you have some alpine tags also, are they the same except for using alpine instead of Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Dan

0 votes
ivantichy November 22, 2018
0 votes
Yves Vogl August 27, 2018

Don't forget about the licensing details.
Even if running JIRA on Kubernetes is possible you are bound to a single instance. At least as long as Atlassian does not come up with a corresponding licensing model. 

While having a single (heavy) VM or even bare metal box is sufficient for the most users there are situations where running multiple (leightweight) instances could boost performance.

Henrik_Høegh January 17, 2019

Atlassian have a Data Center license. So with that, you can scale horizontally in Kubernetes with ease. We do that with ASK for both Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket.

Heres an old video, before we made Helm charts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUvCZXqPZI

Suggest an answer