Official Atlassian support for JIRA on Docker

Hi

It looks like Atlassian is containerizing a handful of their products here: https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/ which is great!  We are using JIRA Core for internal work tracking and it is a great tool.  We hope to get more benefit out of the tool with some small customizations and a containerized JIRA instance for local development (and possibly even deployment) would make it even more awesome!  Are there any plans to add JIRA to this list of supported containers?  

If not, do you recommend any of the community made JIRA containers?  Here are a couple:

I'm also curious to know what the licensing details are - for example, can we use a temporary evaluation license for local development and then have a license for the deployed or production version?

Let me know!

7 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Dave Chevell Atlassian Team Jul 20, 2018

Hey folks,

Whilst there's no official Docker support for Jira, I maintain unofficial images for all Atlassian Server product that don't provide official images here: https://hub.docker.com/r/dchevell

These are developed and maintained using the same approach, tooling and automated release process as our official images. They're great tools for testing and evaluating our products!

Hi Dave,

I notice there's an 'official' image for BitBucket Server. We were thinking about moving to BitBucket Data Centre for high availability. Would it be possible to do this using a Docker image in Kubernetes?

Regards,

Simon

There is a Docker image for JIRA with Dockerfile: https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/

You can use trial licence in container then throw it away and keep data.

+1 for the question. We're currently mulling whether to deploy JIRA via these community made containers or just stick to using a VM and deploy via installer.

My concern is that if went for the container route, we might not get the support we need afterwards if run into any issues.

Response from Atlassian support:

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support!

There are no official plans to publish JIRA on Dockerhub.

It seems it is possible to run JIRA on Docker with a lot of customisation but it isn't supported officially.

This might change in the future but for the moment it is all done by the Atlassian Community and not Officially by Atlassian.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Sjauw Mook
Atlassian Support

Indeed, your message is a reply to the question even if the answer is not acceptable for customers.

Having "no official plans" to support your products on Docker is just ridiculous and very questionable... But I should recognize it's new :) Your company, as many others, are used to "enhance" the reality.

At least, saying that there's no plan definitely helps !

Thanks.

Sorry Andrew :) I just saw that you quoted somehow Jeffrey's answer: this reply was not for you directly, but for Jeffrey (who may not even read the message...  :\ )

I ask myself if the support engineers are in sync with each other!?

I talked to an Atlassian support engineer at an event about our plans to move to JIRA Datacenter. He suggested me to first dockerize our JIRA because this makes scaling Datacenter so much easier...

Fair enough that they don't ship it as a docker container, but why should they not support a JIRA running inside docker? There should be no difference for the application if it runs inside docker or not, it is "only" a JAVA web app.

There are some unofficial JIRA/Docker containers out there but you're right. No reason why JIRA shouldn't be able to be fully containerized. Confluence is out there from Atlassian and working fine in a container, why not JIRA and JSD?

Hi Atlassian,

Is there any update to the possibility of Atlassian creating a JIRA Enterprise Docker container?

Also want an update regarding docker version of Jira.

You can use this: https://hub.docker.com/r/ivantichy/jira/

I did an update to 7.9.0. 

+1 for an official atlassian JIRA docker.

It seems odd that there is an official docker for Confluence, Bamboo agents and bitbucket server (which appear to be very recently updated), but no JIRA.

+1 think the same here. Other products are there except Jira?

Why isn't there a docker for JIRA????

Their goal is to get everyone running on a cloud provider over to Data Center

+1, I also think they should create an official container. 

I have deleted my obsolete answer...

I wouldn't hesitate to run in linux containers,  but someone else has taken over and they will move the whole thing to windows server.    Partly at fault is MySQL replication and Atlassian lack of support for MySQL.    MSSQLServer is easy to achieve HA.   From there it is not much of a leap to have the whole thing on windows native install.

Another unofficial container for JIRA Core available here: https://hub.docker.com/r/zcalusic/atlassian-jira-core/

It's based on the latest Oracle Server JRE. Been using it last several months with lots of success. Typically I upgrade soon after the new JIRA release.

Don't forget about the licensing details.
Even if running JIRA on Kubernetes is possible you are bound to a single instance. At least as long as Atlassian does not come up with a corresponding licensing model. 

While having a single (heavy) VM or even bare metal box is sufficient for the most users there are situations where running multiple (leightweight) instances could boost performance.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

241 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you