Obtaing issue cycle time using REST API

Robert Okemo May 18, 2019

I'm trying to get the issue cycle time (similar to what shows up in JIRA Control Chart Report.  I am using JIRA version 7.10

Anyone has ideas on how to do this?  

ps:

I don't want to use add-ons.  This information is available in JIRA. I just want to know how to extract it using Atlassian's REST API

Thanks

4 answers

1 vote
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2020

Hi @Robert Okemo ,

Issue status history data is available via Jira Rest API. It provides the exact status transition date and time. It returns json as below, then you need to extract and calculate the date differences.
JiraRestAPIOutput.png

Or you can use Status Time app. If you are looking for a free app you can try the free version Status Time Free.
IssueScreenView-3.gif

Victor Hugo Oliveira Amorim April 28, 2022

I also want to use the API and not an add-on.

However, the API overwrites the category's update date data, always leaving the most recent and not a history like I need.

How can I capture the history of dates that got changed using the API?

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Victor Hugo Oliveira Amorim 

You can try the changelog api with pagination.

Victor Hugo Oliveira Amorim April 28, 2022

Thank's 

Victor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 27, 2022

Hi @Bloompeak Support !! I am using Status Time Free for calculating the Lead, Cycle time of my issues. Congrats! It is amazing! Im looking now to integrate the ouput into a google sheet. I do it manually, exporting the csv, and importing in google sheet. Is any way to do it automatically ? Any call from JQL or API? Thank u!!

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
May 27, 2022

Hi @Victor ,

Thanks for your using our app and welcome to the Community!

Our app is designed to ensure security. We neither store nor process any of your issue data on our servers. Not storing/accessing your issue data makes the app more secure. The app makes all calculations on client side(inside your browser) when you open the report page. One side effect of this design is lack of API for export. Therefore, we can not provide API for the reports at the moment.

Victor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 30, 2022

Thank u!

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
May 27, 2022

Hello @Victor

Our app, Time in Status by OBSS, has ready-to-use Excel and Google Sheets template files that allow you to pull calculated Time in Status data directly into a spreadsheet. You can build your reporting starting with these templates and have single-click-refresh reports.

https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/display/MD/TiS+Server+and+Data+Center+-+Sample+Spreadsheet+Integration+Files

EmreT

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
November 18, 2019

Hello @Robert Okemo ,

Unfortunately, Jira does not give this information directly.

If you want to do this yourself, you will have to use make a REST call for each issue to get its history and traverse through issue history to do the calculation yourself.

I know you said you don't want to use add-ons but for those who visit this question with similar needs, our team at OBSS created Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center.

The on-prem versions of Time in Status also have a REST API that you can feed the parameters and get the calculated data as CSV with a single REST call.

Using Time in Status you can report how much time each issue spent on each status, each assignee or even each user group. (useful for calculating lead/cycle times and identifying bottlenecks in your process). You can also see the number of times each status or transition was used (very useful for inspecting things like reopen counts). You can also list the status entry/exit dates.

You can produce reports based on the default 24/7 calendar or define your own business calendars with custom workdays and working hours. 

All data can be exported as XLS, XLSX, CSV.

Emre Toptancı

OBSS

Nicolas Martin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 18, 2019

Hello @Emre Toptancı _OBSS_ 

Im' interested to try your add-on.

2 questions:

(i'm on a cloud server Jira)

- What does mean the on-prem version? Do not sees it mentionned on the pricing page https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/time-in-status?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing

- Could you specify the exact call and parameters to get access to this data via the api? I do not see his info on https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/display/MD/TiS+Cloud+-+Exporting

thanks,

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
November 18, 2019

Hello @Nicolas Martin ,

By on-prem I mean Time in Status (by OBSS) hosted on Server and Data Center editions of Jira (Jira that you host on your servers).

Time in Status REST API is currently available only for Jira Server and Jira Data Center. We have plans to introduce a REST API for cloud platform as well. File Export option is available on all platforms.

The details for the REST call (that is available for Jira Server and Data Center) can be found here:

https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/display/MD/TiS+v4.5+-+REST+Reporting

If you are using Jira Cloud, Time in Status (by OBSS) can still give you the calculated data but you will need to get the export file manually for the time being.

https://dev.obss.com.tr/confluence/display/MD/TiS+Cloud+-+Exporting

EmreT

Like Lou Rodriguez likes this
Robert Okemo November 18, 2019

Great!  Thank you!  I'll look into this plugin.

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
February 24, 2020

Hi @Robert Okemo 

As an alternative solution, you can try Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet.

Besides 7 kinds of reports, data export and other standard functionality, this app has such advanced features:

Grouping time in statuses to get the Cycle and Lead Time 
- Ability to view reports as Charts
- Available Gadget for Jira Dashboard

Also, using add-on Time Between Statuses you can customize the calculation to get the Cycle and Lead Time of your Jira issues by setting the start/stop/pause timer preferences.

Hope this information will be useful for you
Best Regards

Like Lou Rodriguez likes this
Brennon Obst
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 25, 2021

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_

Did you have the JSON API for your Time in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet ?
I don't see any in your docs. 

Cheers, Brennon

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
October 21, 2021

@Brennon Obst It`s in our roadmap 

0 votes
Lidija_Dolinar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 14, 2019

I also need this information.

@Robert Okemodid you find the solution?

Thank you and kind regards,
Lidija

Robert Okemo November 17, 2019

Unfortunately I did not get any answer on it. Still waiting...

Like Lidija_Dolinar likes this

Suggest an answer