O365 connectors within Teams will be deprecated

Seb Coleman-Celis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 8, 2024

Had the following message in Teams:

Action Required: O365 connectors within Teams will be deprecated and notifications from this service will stop. Learn more about the timing and how the Workflows app provides a more flexible and secure experience. If you want to continue receiving these types of messages, you can use a workflow to post messages from a webhook request. Set up workflow

Tried switching the webhook in the Send message to Teams automation with a new Workflows webhook but that didn't work. 

Will the Send message to Teams automation be updated to work with Workflows?

6 answers

3 votes
adamru
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 14, 2024

Atlassian has created a bug.  If you haven't already add yourself to the bug and vote for it.

[AUTO-1374] Provide support for Microsoft Workflows in automation rules - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

3 votes
Britta Neugebauer _yasoon_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 12, 2024

Hello there,

After lurking on this conversation for a while, I have a suggestion for you on how to deal with the retirement of the O365 connectors.

I work at yasoon, an Atlassian Marketplace Platinum Partner. Our focus is to provide applications that deeply integrate Jira and Microsoft 365. So this topic is part of our everyday life and that's why I felt called to share this video with you:

▶️ Jira automation: How to deal with the retirement of Office 365 connectors within Microsoft Teams (youtube.com)

For simple requirements, the official Microsoft Teams integration for Jira Cloud by Atlassian is enough for you. Otherwise you can work with Microsoft 365 for Jira - Outlook Email, Teams, Calendar | Atlassian Marketplace. In the video we’re showing you how to set up basic and advanced automations with Microsoft and Jira. Hope it helps.

Happy Friday!

John Barrett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 16, 2024

This worked for me, I didn't get very many options but its works for simple rules and triggers, so kudo's for getting something. I have to play around with it some more. I'd suggest setting up the connection via a service account rather than individual account, think it would be hard to track something like this down if the person who set it up left or locked out their account :-) 

3 votes
Iain Whyte July 8, 2024

Will stop working 1st October (!)

We will gradually roll out this change in waves:

• Wave 1 – effective August 15th, 2024: All new Connector creation will be blocked within all clouds
  • Wave 2 – effective October 1st, 2024: All connectors within all clouds will stop working

from https://devblogs.microsoft.com/microsoft365dev/retirement-of-office-365-connectors-within-microsoft-teams/

*gets popcorn* Atlassian does great with short timelines...

Boris Zozoulia July 9, 2024

:P

Like # people like this
Dan Driscoll July 10, 2024

Right I also don't want to have to take a course in Workflows.  I just want a list of simple steps to take to convert my existing Jira Automation rules notifications.   Swapping in the new Workflow generated webhook URL seemed almost too simple, and indeed does not work.  Anyone know the steps?   Or definitively if there is something Atlassian must do first?

adamru
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 10, 2024

I have logged a support ticket so will find out in the near future

Like NY likes this
Boris Zozoulia July 10, 2024

it does not look like the default O365 integration format is compatible with proposed workflows, as the Workflows json payload contains a whole bunch of auxiliary fields (refer to the Json schema of this payload below, where the actual content is represented by the attachments, which follow a so called "adaptive card format" in teams.

So, that would need to be rejigged by atlassian folks

{
"type": "Request",
"kind": "TeamsWebhook",
"inputs": {
"triggerAuthenticationType": "All",
"schema": {
"type": "object",
"properties": {
"type": {
"type": "string"
},
"attachments": {
"type": "array",
"items": {
"contentType": {
},
"content": {
"$schema": {
},
},
"version": {
},
"body": {
"type": "array",
"items": {
}
},
"required": ["type"]
}
}
}
}
},
"required": ["contentType", "content"]
}
}
}
}
},
"metadata": {}
}

Iain Whyte July 10, 2024

Dan, unfortunately MS in their infinite wisdom have changed the JSON POST body entirely, so it's not a direct swap of the Webhooks URL. It needs to be reworked and includes AdaptiveCard format inside the Teams wrapper. Looks like it will take a few hours to swap over my other internal stuff :(

An even bigger problem is its ugly AF. Has a bunch of extraneous crap on the top of the card and inside it, and posts as the 'User' that created the workflow. Yuck Yuck Yuck.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 09.40.34.png

Like Move Work Forward likes this
Julien Drape
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 11, 2024

Hi 

@Iain Whyte : as everyone here, i'm trying to use Workflow but with no success... How did you get that ? Did you modify the Webhook body or configure the Adaptive card Parameters ? 
Is it please possible to share your solution (even if for now it's not optimum) ?

Thanks 

Like Dan Driscoll likes this
Stephanie Paddock July 11, 2024

Having the same problem.  Connectors worked great and was our solution. I foolishly switched when the message told me to and now all my stuff is broken.  I'm an idiot sitting here hoping either a) someone has a solution or b) Atlassian fixes their output, because otherwise I'm cooked.

Iain Whyte July 11, 2024

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/teams/?tabs=text1#microsoft-teams-webhook has an example, that, amazingly doesn't work without changes. 

Setup a new workflow in a channel, use the "Post to a channel when a webhook request is received" template. Record the Webhook URL that is provided. 

Then in POSTMAN to test, this is a working raw POST body against the Webhook URL (fixed up version of the JSON given in the MS website above): 

{
"type":"message",
"attachments":[
{
"contentType":"application/vnd.microsoft.card.adaptive",
"contentUrl":null,
"content":{
"$schema":"http://adaptivecards.io/schemas/adaptive-card.json",
"type":"AdaptiveCard",
"version":"1.2",
"body":[
{
"type": "TextBlock",
"text": "testing notification"
}
]
}
}
]
}

Stephanie Paddock July 11, 2024

Yeah, I figured the issue was with the payload based on the errors PowerAutomate threw.

One of my solutions I've cooked up a workaround on.  The other I'm at a loss.  Here's hoping Atlassian plays catch up.

Stephanie Paddock July 15, 2024

Okay, after reading some wonderful responses here, I cooked up a very awful fix until we get a real one from Atlassian.

I'm using the webhook Automation (NOT Teams) to post to the Teams PowerAutomate Webhook template. 

Then, because I do not personally want or like the Adaptive Cards (our use case has us copying the relayed message in Teams to other locations inside Teams, and Adaptive Cards do not copy and paste well), I load the JSON schema into the "Parse JSON"  action, initialize a string variable, and spit it all back out as plain text (I include some HTML formatting in my initial JSON payload so everything looks nice in the end). 

I don't know if I need to do this!  But I'm just trying to get something to work and it's working! 

Here's what my dumb thing looks like for anyone else who might find this useful. 

I want to stress again, though, that I have no idea what I'm doing and am doing the absolute bare minimum to keep everything moving along until something better comes along.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 161424.png

Like # people like this
2 votes
Mathias Boer-Mah July 11, 2024

Hi 

See my proposed solution in this thread - It works but requires you to use web hooks in jira instead of the teams integration

Transition to MS Teams Workflows

Good for a last resort if Atlassian do not fix the output format in time

Cheers

Matt

John Barrett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 16, 2024

From what I read about the Microsoft connectors with webhooks is they are also being shut down. Could be wrong, but I think the idea from MS about them is that they are unsecure and not as scalable. Not sure I agree with MS but I don' think webhooks will work after Oct 1st.

Like Lee Hatton likes this
Mathias Boer-Mah July 17, 2024

This is using the same webhook that is created when you follow microsofts steps to use the alternate workflow to replace the connectors.  So no, webhooks are not being shut down - at least not in the near future..

0 votes
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2024

Guys,

There is a simpler way to use Microsoft Teams Workflows app to get messages into Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket.

Cheers,
Leo

John Barrett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 17, 2024

Leo, the issue is that webhooks are being depreciated, they work now, but come Oct 1st they won't. MS will stop allowing new Webhooks and O365 connections  by Aug 1st

Stephanie Paddock July 17, 2024

I would love to contemplate switching to a fabulous addon that does stuff better, but unfortunately M$ isn't giving me the 3-6 months my company requires to get security and legal evaluation -- not to mention secure budget -- for replacements.  Also, I have better things to be doing than dealing with this crisis right now.

This is my reality, and probably others, and why we're panicking.

0 votes
Adam Brunt July 16, 2024

@Iain Whyte the reason you are getting the "ugly AF" stuff wrapped around the card is because you used the "Post to a channel when a webhook request is received" template.

If you don't use a template but, instead, create a workflow from scratch - that does exactly the same as what your current flow does - then you don't get the rubbish content

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events