O365 Shared Mailbox - Automatically create a JIRA Ticket

myrlen.antoni March 22, 2019

Hi,

I have recently created a Shared Mailbox in O365 I have provided a full access to some users. When I have configured it thru Mail Handler it ask me for Username and Password.

I have read in previous forums that I need to configure this on the mail handler (Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue). However when I have created the Shared Mailbox in O365 it doesn't have the ability to put a password. (just correct me if I am wrong)

Here are the settings that I configure:

Protocol: SECURE IMAP
Host: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993

Email address: sharedmailbox@mydomain.com

Username: sharedmailbox@mydomain.com
Password: (sharedmailbox user password) <<-- is it the mailbox password of the user that has full access to the shared mailbox?

Thanks,

Mykee

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hey Mykee,

We've got reports from some other users about success using shared mailboxes. They created a password for the shared mailbox in O365:

To set the password for the shared mailbox user, you must go to the Admin Center -> Users -> Active Users and reset the password for the Shared Mailbox user. When you do that, specify the password, and uncheck 'Make this user change their password when they first sign in'.

From there, you should be able to use the handler as you've got it configured already in your question (plus adding the password in). Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Daniel

myrlen.antoni March 26, 2019

Hi Daniel,

I created the shared mailbox directly on the Admin Center -> Shared Mailbox (there is no option for setting of password). At first, I have created this Admin Center -> Users -> Active Users (there is setting of password) and I have converted it to a shared mailbox but there's an issue in receiving incoming mails from the shared mailbox is going start to the Deleted Folders.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Interesting! I'm not an O365 user and can't troubleshoot this from the Microsoft side. This discussion about shared mailbox access and ways to have applications access them (Jira!) might be useful: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange/Shared-Mailbox-can-have-a-password-and-login-enabled-without/td-p/280768

There's a screenshot in there showing how they enabled a password in addition to advantages/disadvantages of using shared mailboxes vs an outright account.

myrlen.antoni March 26, 2019

Hi Daniel thank you for the information. Here's what I did, I created it as a regular user and converted it as Shared Mailbox and provide access to some users. However, the emails sent to the Shared Mailbox disappears from the inbox as soon as tickets are created in JIRA and as per checking it went directly to the Deleted Folders of the mailbox. Is this the behavior of JIRA?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2019

Yes, this is the behavior when the Jira mail handler picks up messages. Once they are ingested by Jira, the Jira mail handler "deletes" the message from the mailbox (in this case, moves to Deleted in O365) so that the mailbox does not grow infinitely.

If you need to retain a copy of the messages somewhere in O365, I'd suggest setting up a rule that runs on all new messages in Outlook/O365 that copies messages to a new folder. Here's an article showing the general steps for setting up O365 rules, but for the specific action you would copy the message to a new folder in the shared mailbox instead of forwarding it. Just beware that if you don't clear this "copy" folder out from time to time, you could fill up the mailbox over time if there's a lot headed for that email address.

Suggest an answer