Numbers not adding up

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

Hi

I did three searches

a) custom field A is null = X issues

b) custom field A is not null = Y issues

c) Pressed search with nothing in the search window. and got Z issues.

Now ideally, i would expect

X + Y = Z

but i found that Z was 50 issues more than X + Y.

How is that possible?

Any ideas guys?

Rahul

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

How is the field configured (global?), and what type is it?

What does "custom field is empty" return?

Can you see which 50 issues throwing the discrepancy?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

Yes, field is global context and text field custom field.

is empty returned 89000

is not empty returned 0

the third one returned 89050

Its 89K issues so i cannot identify the discrepancy.

since there is a discrepancy i am not sure if it is safe for me to delete the custom field. I do not want to delete some data which i cannot recover later. hence my concern

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Hi Nic

Its global context, text field Custom field.

is empty returns the same results as is null

is null == is empty == 89000 issues

is not null == is not empty == 0 issues

empty search returns = 89050 issues

I cant find out those 50 issues since we are 89K issues, manully identifying is impossible.

My requirement behind asking this question is to identify whether a custom field is safe for me to delete or not. If i am sure that no issues are using this custom field i will delete this.

How can i be absolutely certain that a custom field has not been used?

Peter Dittman February 5, 2014

check to make sure the custom field is defined for all issue types - there may be types that don't contain the issue (and therefore aren't considered as part of your "is empty" queries)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

Ok, for a global field, you can rule out projects/issuetypes which do not have the field.

I suspect you might have a broken index for 50 issues, is it possible to schedule a full re-index? (Not background)

Suggest an answer