NullPointerException during Installation

Benjamin Klatt November 4, 2012

I have installed Jira using the command line installation tool.

Furthermore, jira is connected with an Apache2 webserver using an ajp connector (https is used).

Jira is starting smoothly, but opening the installation url in a webbrowser returns HTTP Status 500 instead of presenting the installation wizard.

The 500-Page reports a

java.lang.NullPointerException

com.atlassian.jira.user.preferences.UserPreferencesResetInterceptor.afterLogin(UserPreferencesResetInterceptor.java:23)

com.atlassian.seraph.filter.PasswordBasedLoginFilter.runAfterLoginInterceptors(PasswordBasedLoginFilter.java:158)

exception.

In the localhost log file of the jira installation, I noticed the following exception:

Nov 5, 2012 3:46:56 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: jiraLicenseService should not be null!

at com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions.notNull(Assertions.java:28)

But as long as I am not abble to open the installation wizard, I don't know my Server ID to order a license and I don't know how to set the license.

Please give me any advise how to solve this issue.

Thanks a lot

Benjamin

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin Klatt November 28, 2012

Hi Fagner,

thanks a lot for your hints.

At the end, I figured out, my configuration was fine, but the setup wizard must be executed without an apache in front JIRA.

I did not investigate the reason for this, but when I shutted down apache and configured JIRA's Tomcat to port 80, the setup wizard ran smoothly. Afterwards I closed JIRA's http connector, started Apache and now JIRA works fine also through the AJP connector.

Thanks again for your reply!
Benjamin

0 votes
FagnerF
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

Hi Benjamin,

What's your JIRA and Apache version?

Furthermore is JIRA connected with an external DB or it's connected with HSQL?

As you metioned you're using AJP connector I'd like to point out there are two diffetent ways to configure it has different settings to Apache 2.0.X and 2.2x or newer, it can be clarified in Configuring Apache Reverse Proxy Using the AJP Protocol also Integrating JIRA with Apache documentation.

As an extra tip you could also check out in Installing JIRA documentation, once it sounds like JIRA can't find the License into data base.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer