Notify new assignee when an issue is reassigned to them

Mark Love
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to configure Jira so that users get an email when an issue is assigned to them. I've read all I can find from posts from other users on here, but can't get it to work.

My issue notification scheme says to notify the "Current Assignee" on the event "Issue assigned". But this seems to generate issues to the old assignee, not the new one, and there is no option to choose "New Asssignee" when you edit the notification scheme.

Furthermore, from what I've read, Jira seems to behave differently if you change the assignee field inline in the main Issue Detail view, rather than in the pop-up "Edit Issue" window. Is this really the case?

Also, for some users emails aren't sent to either the old or new user, regardless of which screen is used. I've checked all the obvious things ("Notify Me" in profile), and the email error queue, and I can't figure it out. Some other posts said this mioght be down to "permissions" but in this instance all users belong to a jira-users group, with access to the project in question.

Can anyone shed some light on this? This should be a really straightforward thing to achieve, and I don't want to have to install scripting add-ons or change workflow transitions (since in many cases issues will be reassigtned without changing status)

Thanks for your help,

Mark.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2014

Yes, the assign link work different than when you change the assignee in the assignee field on the screen during a transition or editing the issue. The assign link fires the issue assigned post function which causes the notification email to the new assignee. If you edit the issue you get the issued edited notification. If you do it during a transition you get whatever notification is fired in that post function list.

Dana_Cadman April 26, 2018

The issue we have is that when an issue is first created, the Assignee is not notified. Our work around is to create the issue w/o an assignee, add the Assignee as a watcher, then assign the user story, but, or sub-task to them so they get an update, but that's a lot of extra work. It'd be great if Jira just notified you that you've been assigned some work.

1 vote
Pete Sisson March 12, 2014

Did you get to the bottom of this? Same issue here (tried to add a comment but "spambot" wont let me).

0 votes
Jenny Quinn January 27, 2017

I have a permissions scheme set up, but also have this issue - there is only an option to notify the old assignee ("current" assignee) that the ticket has been re-assigned, not the new assignee that the ticket is now assigned to...

Suggest an answer