Notifications for users in a project role on a specific project

motherg January 3, 2013

Hi all,

I've got the following scenario:

I want to notify users within a specifc role on a specific project that an issue has been created. We've changed email systems at work so where we previously had the default assignee as a user with the group mailing address (so everyone in the project team got notified) we can no longer do that [until a fix is found].

Let me explain by way of an example:

I want to notify users of Project A in a Role A that a new issue has been created. So I created a notification scheme specifically for Project A where Role A is notified. This is a generic project role so it is used by Project A, B, C, D, etc.

Unfortunately this setup notified the users of Role A in every project it is used. This seems kind of illogical to me. Surely the idea of assinging a user to a specific project role for a specific project, and making sure that project has a notification scheme that is also specific to that project means that only the users in that role, for that project and that notification scheme should notified?

Any solutions to my problem would be welcome. For the time being I've just used the Specific User field, but isn't the most elgant or managable solution.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2013

I'm not quite sure what is wrong here. It is complex, but it is very logical, and it's doing exactly what it should do.

Your notification scheme says "notify users in role A when issues in the project are created". Note that it does NOT say "in project A", it really does just say "users in role A get created mails"

If project A is then configured to use that scheme, it will send create mails to people who are currently in role A in that project.

It really doesn't sound right that it's notified everyone in Role A for other projects - are you saying that "issue 123 created in project A" has gone to a person in role A in project B (and they are definitely NOT in role A for project A)?

Also, have you mixed up roles and groups? And are you using groups in roles in project A, could that be triggering the mails?

motherg January 3, 2013

AHA!! Nic you've done it again

Also, have you mixed up roles and groups? And are you using groups in roles in project A, could that be triggering the mails?

Yes, the problem is that the 'jira-users' group, which everyone is part of seems to be assigned to all project roles.

Now you've said it I feel foolish but it isn't until someone points it out do you realise these stupid mistakes.

So now I've looked this I think it should work, as long as I removed the 'jira-users' group from Role A, in the permission scheme created for and only used by Project A. Does that sound right to you?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2013

Yes, I think just removing the jira-users group from the role will fix it.

The cross-project mailing made me suspect it was a simple group usage lurking - I've lost count of the number of times I've kicked myself for forgetting that groups can be added to roles as well as individuals...

motherg January 3, 2013

Thanks Nic, much appreciated as always. As soon as you said it I knew that was what the issue was - this is wwhy I like Atlassian Answers!

0 votes
Gopi K June 11, 2019

Hi Nic,

If I want to assign a user A playing PM role in my project A, when there is a workflow transition happened from " To Do" to "PM Approval pending", what should I do?

0 votes
Phebe Brown April 27, 2018

I have this same issue - I would like for Project Admins (role) on PRoject A to be notified if an issue is created.  If I add project admins to the notification scheme for this event, it notifies ALL project admins on ALL projects - how do I constrain by Project Admins on the current project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2018

That's not what my Jira systems do.  I get project role notifications.

When you say "add project admins to the notification scheme", are you sure you are setting the role and not a group?

Phebe Brown July 18, 2018

Thanks for your response, I just wound up creating a group for the admins and then adding that group to the notification scheme for all the events.

0 votes
Cristian Zara May 24, 2017

Is this still valid for the last releases of Jira? 

I cannot assign a group to a project role. Seems like it was removed.

Suggest an answer