Not showing unlabeled results when using query "labels != ..."

Hello.

In the Issue Navigator, when searching for "labels != whatever" the expected result would be a list of all issues that don't have the whatever label.

In practice though, when using a query like that, the unlabeled issues in my project ALWAYS get screened out. There is no way around this nor is this the logical behavior.

In other words, i cannot view unlabeled issues when searching for "all labels but one".

3 answers

1 accepted

You need to use "IS EMPTY" or "IS NULL"

labels != whatever or labels IS EMPTY

Thank you very much.

Don't you think this should be the default behavior?

No, because I have a database background. There is a difference between a field having no value verses a field having a value. The != or = will search a field that has a value assigned to it.

I can understand where you are coming from though. Please read about NULL values in any SQL style database if you want to understand more fully.

I used the technique '(labels not in("OnHold") or labels is EMPTY)' when 'labels not in("OnHold")' didn't work. It was not clear from the advanced search documentation that this was necessary. Maybe some one could point out where this is said or the documentation shodul be updated.

Thank you very much.

Don't you think this should be the default behavior?

I will not disagree that all documentation can be improved. The advanced search section is written more like a reference manual verses a tutorial. When you read a reference style text you can just read the section you need, but to get a full understanding you need to read the whole thing.

A tutorial cannot cover everything because it needs to be quick and easy to read.

So if you read the EMPTY/NULL keywords and read about the OR operator I think the information is there and made clear by the duedate example.

Maybe we should add a gotcha section for things that people discover. We can start by adding to comment section of the advanced search page.

I can see how the example that you refer to might lead me to try that technique; however, my search through the documentation didn't take me that way. I was trying things like 'labels != test' and 'lables NOT IN (test)' and nothing was being returned since the records had null label fields so I went to the 'Operators Reference' section looking for exceptions. A suggestion might be to add an explanation at the beginning of the 'Operators Reference' section that describes the behavior of attibutes with null entries.

No biggie and thanx for the help.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

102 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you