Not able to set people field through automation in next-gen project

bschmi February 13, 2021

Hi,

the setting is a next-gen Jira Service Management project where I created a field of type "People" and set it onto "Customer request form" (tested in Description fields and Context fields also).

As soon as I want to update it through automation it is not offered as an option.

grafik.png

The field is called "Close User" and all of the intention is to set the person doing the transition into this field by:

grafik.png

TIA! Birgit

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2021

Hi @bschmi I played with it a little and I found out the only way it works is to switch to advanced mode (click "More options") and put this to the Additional fields field:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10053": [ { "id": "{{initiator.accountId}}" } ]
}
}

YOu need to replace 10053 with your custom field's ID. You can get information about your custom fields using REST API

Danish Magrey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2021

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

I have a similar scenario wherein I have the same custom field (of type people) in parent and subtask. I do not see the option for this field in the drop-down and will have to use the Advanced fields. I want to copy the value for this custom field from parent to child. i have tried the following:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10200": {{issue.customfield_10200.accountId}}
}
}
{
"update": {
"customfield_10200": {{issue.parent.fields.customfield_10200}}
}
}

every time, I'm getting Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON.

2 votes
Ross F February 22, 2022

I can confirm there is a problem with setting a "People" field in this project type. The conditions do not work either. e.g. setting a condition for when this field type is "not empty" will never work. Seems to be a bug, and it remains unfixed a year later.

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 13, 2021

Hi bschmi and welcome,

Can the action you are trying to automate  be done manually? I mean, is the field you are trying to set using the automation, editable at time point of the workflow by the actor you selected to execute the rule? I believe the field need to be editable or at least (not sure about this) being in the transition screen displayed during that status change.

Regards

Suggest an answer