No status available when creating a new issue

gcapdevila March 24, 2023

So I have 2 issue types with 2 different workflows that have everything mapped out. The problem is that when I'm creating an issue with those issue types, in the creation issue screen I cannot select which status they start with as the following message appears.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.53.41.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi @gcapdevila welcome to the community. 

This field will show just the status that are available to move directly from the first one, in your case, Backlog. 

There is a hidden "Create" status for all the issues during creation, and Backlog is the first status after that in your workflow. 

If your workflow is a sequence, meaning there is only one direction from Backlog to another in the sequence, thats why you are not seeing. 

To see all the status in this field, you would need to have a simplified workflow, that can move freely for any status. 

In the workflow you will see a global transition "ALL" attached to every status.

If this is not your case (not having the global transition), thats why you cant see them in this field. 

I hope this helps

gcapdevila March 24, 2023

Hey Patricia, thank you so much for your answer!

I have a question following what you say, then.

As you can see in the attached image, I have the Done status which can be transitioned from ALL, but it still does not show up as you can see on the original post. What would be the reason for that?Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 14.46.14.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hello @gcapdevila 

I found this additional debugging information in the comments of the associated change request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69559

9c0a7920250fAmira Badran added a comment - 

Nik Jordanov Thanks for raising this! I've put together some steps that you can follow to find out why specific statuses aren’t available on the Issue Create modal, depends on your project type. If none of this works, then  will need to raise it as a bug. Hope you find this helpful.

Company-managed Projects

1. Open the workflow editor (Project settings > Workflows > Pencil icon, or alternatively: Open an issue, click the status field and click View workflow).
  2. Pick a status you would expect to see in the status dropdown in the Create issue modal.
    Does it have a global transition? (an arrow from "All" to the status). This is required for a status to appear in the Create Issue modal.
  3. Click on the arrow from "All", and in the Transition popup that appears check that there are no triggers, no conditions, and no validators. If any of these are set on a transition it will not appear in Create Issue.
  4. Check the Properties on the transition. Do any start with jira.permission? If so you might not have permission to use this transition.
  5. Check for Screens by Editing the transition. A new popup will appear. If a screen is selected the transition will not appear in Create Issue.

Team-managed Projects

1. Open the workflow editor (Project settings > Issue types > Edit workflow, or alternatively: Open an issue, click the status field and click View workflow).
  2. Pick a status you would expect to see in the status dropdown in the Create issue modal.Does it have a global transition? (an arrow from "Any status" to the status). This is required for a status to appear in the Create Issue modal.
  3. Click on the arrow from "Any status", and in the sidebar that appears check that there are no rules defined. Some types of rules will prevent a transition from appearing in Create Issue.
  4. Also check the Properties on the transition. Do any start with jira.permission? If so you might not have permission to use this transition.

Permission related issues

In both types of projects there are permissions that can prevent a status appearing in the Create Issue modal. Jira has a very fine-grained permission stucture, so the best way to test this is to create an issue and try to transition it to the status you want. If this works, then permissions are not stopping the status appearing in the Issue Create list.

Like gcapdevila likes this
gcapdevila March 27, 2023

Hey @Trudy Claspill , this is really helpful and completely answers my question. My reason being that the transitions do have conditions, validators, etc. plus they all have screens as well.

So thank you so much for your help!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events