No complete automated install possible ?

shane April 16, 2017

Hi all, 

I've been searching multiple sources but I'm finding it hard to believe that there is seemingly no complete unattended install feature for Jira/confluence etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful in manging to do it completely from a one click.
these questions  asked are asking for similar guides but are old and I'm wondering if anything has been improved over the years. I find it bizaare that so much emphasis is placed on configuration through a GUI. The only truely automated approach I've seen is using mechanize but ideally I'd like to do it by placing the critical files as the right points since it suits ansibles templating far better.

I've been researching and notcied you can direct query the SQL to insert the license key , I also directly entered the dbconfig.xml but the bloody GUI installer still wants me to enter DB details :(

Anyone seen any ideas for a completely automated install ?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2017

There are some options around, but it is hard to keep up with the pace of Atlassian development sometimes.

The only system I am aware of is one that my colleagues have developed, and open-sourced.  The blog at http://labs.adaptavist.com/labs/2015/12/24/christmas-present-opensource/ is a brief introduction, and the stuff you can grab to run it is at https://github.com/Adaptavist/avst-app

I am blinkered here, there may be other options.

But as  I work there, I obviously only ever use this one.  Internally, we also have it wired into a JIRA project where I can raise a request for an Atlassian service, feed it a licence and some technical requirements, and have it runnning half an hour later, but that's another layer on top of the automated installation.

shane April 17, 2017

Cheers , 
Had a look at your app but decided to just do my own ansible / mechanize implementation since there was a lot of yours i didn't understand

I've got Jira and Confluence done but struggling with the service now since it's seemingly installed through the GUI with an ORB which makes it more complicated.  

I'm still amazed that a company of this magnitude doesn't have their own self installers 

Suggest an answer