No Child Issues in Parent Initiative

Wiser September 27, 2021

After I added an Epic to an Initiative via the Parent Link field, the Child Issues section of the Initiative still says "No Child Issues". However I can see the Epic beneath the Initiative within my plans. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I have Jira v8.13.2 Data Center edition.

3 answers

0 votes
LAWRENCE MCARDLE August 29, 2022

Hi,

I was able to solve this issue by using the 'Parent Link' field in the Edit pop-up box, NOT in the 'Issue Links' section of the Epic.

Previously, I had used the '+' next to issue links to define both the Epic as a child of the parent Initiative and the Initiative as a parent of child Epic.  This still did not update the Initiative's child links and I could not see the child Epic on the Roadmap.

After creating a few test Epics on the Roadmap itself and seeing that they were children, I noticed that they had their 'Parent Link' set as the Initiative in the top section of the Epic, under 'Epic Color' and 'Epic Status' in our case.  The original Epic did not have this 'Parent Link' set.

I clicked Edit and found the 'Parent Link' box in the pop-up, and it was blank.  I put in the issue number of the Initiative, selected it then in the drop-down and then clicked Update.  The 'Parent Link' field appeared in the Epic header (meta)data, the Initiative showed it as a child and it appeared in the Roadmap hierarchy finally.

Using the 'Issue Links' section in this case is not sufficient.  The 'Parent Link' must be updated by editing the Epic.

0 votes
LAWRENCE MCARDLE August 26, 2022

BUMP

Hello, any updates on this?  I'm also experiencing this problem.

The Initiative has been linked as a parent of the Epic.

Also, the Epic has been linked as a child of the Initiative.

The Initiative shows that it is a parent of the Epic, but it shows no child issues.

The knock-on effect of this is that in Advanced Roadmaps, the Initiative is not expandable, it does not have the chevron next to it to be able to see Epic and all the Stories beneath it in the hierarchy.

Can someone please take a look at this??  It's been almost one year without any responses.

0 votes
Bradley Davidson February 1, 2022

Any updates on this?  Also seeing this problem.

Suggest an answer