Nginx reverse proxy application links

Shared Contact May 21, 2015

I have 2 JIRA 6.3.15 instances each behind a Nginx reverse proxy + SSL.

When I try to create application links between them, JIRA reports no response.

"No response was received from the URL you entered - it may not be valid. Please fix the URL below, if needed, and click Continue."

Nginx access logs shows this line.

10.10.23.162 - - [21/May/2015:14:19:17 -0400] "\x15\x03\x03\x00\x02\x02(" 400 172 "-" "-"

JIRA's catalina.out has no output. Which suggests that the request wasn't forwarded.

Has anyone got this working?

http {
        proxy_cache_path /var/lib/nginx/cache keys_zone=one:10m;
        server {
                listen 80;
                server_name jira2.lan;
                location / {
                return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri;
                }
        }
        server {
            listen 443 ssl;
            server_name jira2.lan;
            ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/cert.pem;
            ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/certs/key.pem;
            # NGINX usually only allows 1M per request. Increase this to JIRA's maximum attachment size (10M by default)
            client_max_body_size 10M;
            proxy_cache one;
            add_header X-Cache-Status $upstream_cache_status;
            location / {
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $host;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Server $host;
                proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
                proxy_pass http://jirahost2.lan:8080;
            }
        }
}

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shared Contact June 2, 2015

I needed to add the self signed certificates into the JVM for the link to work.

Jean-Marc Dressler August 9, 2015

Hello, Could you give more details on the solution ? Did you configure the tomcat connector to use ssl or did you simply add the certificates to an accessible keystore ?

Roman Collyer November 30, 2018

Hi, I stumbled across this while having a similar issue - trying to migrate from Apache2 to Nginx. - The problem at least for me - was the SSLCertificateChainFile - the DigiCertCA - which is the trusted chain. NGINX doesn't have an equivallent, so you can append the contents into your ssl_certificate file. Worked after that.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2015

Hello, 

The catalina.out only shows logs related to Tomcat start up. To see logs related to the application and applinks, please cheack the <jira-home>/logs/jira-atlassian.log.

I also got curious about your NGINX configuration. You've mentioned that you have two JIRA, but I'm only seeing configuration to jira2 host. Is this NGINX working as Load Balancer as well?

If possible, please delete the application links between these two jiras, run a tail f on the both JIRA logs and try to recreate the application links again and post the error message here. 

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Shared Contact May 22, 2015

atlassian-jira.log did not show any output either. Somehow nginx isn't forwarding the request to tomcat. The 2 JIRA has identical nginx configuration other than their hostnames. No load balancer. jirahost - HTTP - Nginx jiratest - HTTPS jirahost2 - HTTP - Nginx jiratest2 - HTTPS There is no link to delete. I'm trying to create the link. Thanks, - Andy

rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2015

Hi Andy, A good way to check where it is failing is running a tcpdump on servers. Regards, Renato Rudnicki

0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
May 21, 2015

Hello,

I recommend you to check this guide, which covers the common problems regarding Application Links creation and maintenance.

Suggest an answer