Next-Gen Add bug as Child Issue to Story

Andy Eunson December 23, 2019

Background: SubTasks were recently added to NextGen projects. These are child tasks to a Story or Task.

Outcome: We'd like to allow bugs to be a child issue underneath a Story or Task. 

Motivation: we'd like to associate the bugs directly to the story they relate to (assuming the bug affects just one story/task). This will simplify the management of work in progress and make it clear what's required to close out a story that is active in the sprint.

1 answer

4 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2020

Hello Andy,

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you would like to add the bug issue type as a child of Story issue types in a Next-gen project.

As you mentioned, the sub-task functionality was recently implemented on Next-gen, so we only have the possibility to use the default sub-task issue type for now.

Of course, we are still working to improve that functionality for Next-gen. For the feature you are asking for, we created the following feature request to properly track our development team progress:

Allow the creation of Multiple Sub-task issue types in Next-gen 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Swapna Shanthi August 4, 2021

any update on this ?

Simon Berdal August 26, 2021

Yes, any update? Would like to have bugs as children of stories

Taras Shotik September 14, 2022

Seems to be a very useful feature. Are there any updates regarding that?

JuliaKazlova April 7, 2023

Any updates on this, please?

Esa Ruoho April 26, 2023

yeah i don't get why it's taking so long to implement something like this.

i often create bug tickets, only to then find out there's an epic they should have been added as child-tickets to. but i can't go "Child of" or "Parent of" x, instead i need to delete the ticket and recreate the ticket, this makes no sense and is a royal waste of time, especially if the ticket has multiple comments, lots of attachments and details, and has been referred to multiple times.

now all i can do is "Relates to" and link to the User Story.

This is no good! 

Suggest an answer