Newly Appointed JIRA Admin

Ryan Berry June 26, 2017

Ive recently joined a new organization and am quickly being identified as the "unofficial" JIRA expert.  Ive used JIRA as a user for the past 4 years but have not really scratched the surface of administration as of this point.  Ive built new workflows and customized new fields, primarily learning from youtube and google searches.  

What would is recommended to a new administrator that are must know items or topics for success?  Would love to see some content that would be helpful to refer to.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2017

Hi Ryan,

There are a number of good resources on-line.  One general resource I utilize a lot is Lynda.com.  Here are some links to some articles that can help you get started and plan for the future:

Administering JIRA Server 7.3 applications
JIRA Sizing Guide
Scaling JIRA Software
Federating JIRA - Managing Multiple Instances

Some companies provide re-imbursement for training materials and if yours does and you like a good book there are a few good ones out there on the topic too!

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

Hi Ryan,

congratulations to your new role :-)  It's not the worst one, I think.

Building Workflows and customize fields is a good start. That's a common job for a Jira Administrator. Users and groups administration and permissions is the next thing, I would look for. 

Get an understanding of using schemes in Jira (workflow schemes, screen schemes, issue type schemes, field configuratin schemes).

Set up a testing environment for you, so you can try out things without disturbing anyone. You can get a developer license from Atlassian for that.

And don't hesitate to ask your questions here :-)

Suggest an answer