Newbie question. How do I delete a task?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019
Let's say I create a task by mistake. Instead of pushing it to done can I just delete it? I don't see a way to do this.

3 answers

4 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2019

Thanks. This sounds like a good idea.

So to clarify this is a transition that moves it from an Open status to a Done status called "Deleted" but can only be performed by the project lead?

How would I implement this? Would the "User Permission Validator" be what controls this under the transition settings?

Also, how does the user ask for permission? Would that be done outside Jira or would Jira notify me somehow and queue the change until I approve or deny it?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2019

Something like this?

1.PNG2.PNG

0 votes
Ashot Arakelyan April 23, 2019

The steps advised by Abhipsa works only if you are granted to delete an issue. As far as I know only project leads/admins can delete an issue.

Anyway, agree with Joseph, better to close an issue with an appropriate resolution(e.g. incomplete, invalid, etc..., you can add other resolutions as well).

0 votes
Abhipsa Mohapatra April 23, 2019

@Michael Arndt 

Delete of issue is not advisable.

But for knowledge >> Open the issue In "More" dropdown button, there is one option for Delete the issue

Suggest an answer