New workflows not showing up

Thomas Devin August 3, 2018

I'm trying to create my own workflow. I go to the Admin -> Issues -> Workflows page and click copy on an existing workflow. Give it a name and click copy. 

When I go back to the workflows page it's not there. Can't see it under active or inactive list. When I try to create another one with the same name it says I can't because there's already one with that name. 

Where do these workflows disappear to? I've created a few different ones and they're no where to be found. Help!

I'm using self hosted 30 day trial. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2018

@Thomas DevinGo  down  at  the end of the window  you  will  see inactive workflow  you  will  find it.  if you  associate it in  a project  you  will  see it in  active workflows.

Best!

Okay I figured this out. You have to actually click on the "Inactive" title and it will display the inactive items. Otherwise it is hidden. This was extremely confusing because it wasn't clear you could click it.

Like # people like this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2018

@Thomas DevinIt is working  as designed is a kind of   separation  from  the active work-flows you  just  need to  check  there,  there is a reason  for in-active written  at  the  button of  work flows window.

Best!   

Okay cool! Makes more sense now that I can see them. Maybe there should be a little arrow or button that shows you that you can expand and contract those sections? Just a thought. Thanks for the help :)

Like Courtney - TechTime likes this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2018

@Thomas DevinIf you  think  so  you  could  create a suggestion  https://jira.atlassian.com/    and votes  needs to  be enormous for consideration.

Please mark  solution  as  accepted/vote  so that others  could  user.

Best!

Douglas Gaskell October 3, 2018

@Moses ThomasI would argue that this is not working as expected, as there is no indication in the UI that the Inactive section is any different and should be clicked on, it's a normal title without any additional styling.

Like # people like this
Amanda Lang July 24, 2019

I agree, there should be an indication, that this bar is extendable...i thought this was a mere header, that had nothing written below it, because there weren't any inactive workflows..turns out, there apparently were, but you'd have to know that you have to click the bar to see them.

bjc123 October 1, 2019

yep I just had the same issue and google sent me here. The UI needs to be clearer

Like # people like this
Metin Savignano January 2, 2020

I had the same problem and have spent an hour or two trying to understand what I am doing wrong when creating the workflow. There is no indication at all that INACTIVE needs to be clicked or could be expandable – wow, I've rarely had such a bad user experience. 

Like Luca Tonet likes this
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2020

@Metin Savignano  I think that it is just a matter of familiarity with the system, once you know it, That's it.

Best regards,

Mo

Metin Savignano January 28, 2020

It‘s absolutely counter-intuitive. A good software should try to be as intuitive as possible. 

Like Luca Tonet likes this
1 vote
Wojtek Tomalik March 10, 2022

You cannot access inactive workflows through Project Settings > Workflows... you gotta go to general "Issues" > "Workflows" (URL path /jira/settings/issues/workflows) and only then you get the "Workflows" and "Workflow Schemes" -- absolutely garbage UX on this.

So, if you can't find how to edit your workflow from your project settings, go to the global settings (top right gear icon), select "Issues" and there you will get "Workflow Schemes" option in left menu where you can see your inactive workflows to edit them... cuz you can't edit active workflows in your project... even if you have no issues in the project yet.

0 votes
Abhay Patil September 8, 2023

It is a little weirder than that. When I copy a workflow, it just refreshes the screen - it doesn't bring up any interaction to name the copy. After attempting a couple times with same experience, I checked "inactive" wofkflows to realize that it was creating workflows silently and naming them "Copy of ..." and then "Copy 2 of ..." and so on! But there was no indication that it was doing it.

0 votes

Okay so I just did an inspect on the inactive list in Chrome and the div with class "mod-content" had a display none. This must be a bug?

Suggest an answer