New user - Trouble understanding the process

Richard Yum March 25, 2019

Hello!

I'm new to JIRA and I'm trying to understand how to best setup my projects and workflows. So far, it's not really "clicking" on a conceptual level, in part due to having trouble understanding how tasks/issues are handled. Context:

• This will be used for a small agency team (10 people).
  • We have a number of different clients.
  • Each client has set, clear deliverables.
  • I am uncertain how to setup a workflow since each deliverable is quite large (for example, writing a paper) and is made up of a number of people doing different tasks for it (research, design, writing, editing, reviewing, etc).

Generally, how are small tasks handled? For example, if during the process a task arises to re-write some small snippet of copy based on client feedback, is that a separate issue? Would that issue then be held in a "Small Tasks" list?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm trying my best to wrap my head around this, but I'm more used to general to-do list tools.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hello Richard,

I hope you are having a nice day.

There are several ways to configure your JIRA tasks and better organize them. It's completely up on how your team would better understand and fit.

Per your description, I would configure tasks and sub-tasks to perform the hierarchical relationship you want (Big task containing small tasks).

Sub-tasks is a different issue type created under a task to split up larger pieces of work into "small tasks" that can be assigned and tracked separately by your teams.

For more information on how you can create and handle sub-tasks, you can check the documentation below:

Configuring Sub-tasks

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer