New ticket created for each email response for JIA Service Desk

Manjit Modi November 18, 2020

I am trying below:

1. User manjit sends mail to Email Address defined in Project Settings --> Email requests defined in JIRA service desk project.
  2. JIRA creates a ticket as expected with JIRA ticket ID TNSD-1
  3. User manjit goes to "Sent items" folder of Outlook and replies to the mail in step 1  
  4. JIRA creates new ticket TNSD-2

I was expecting that since it is reply of same mail, JIRA should not create new ticket. However in step 3 if I am putting JIRA ticket ID TNSD-1 in mail subject, JIRA is updating comment on existing ticket.

Below are configuration:

Configuration for "Add Comments" in Project Settings --> Permissions:

Project Role: Service Desk Team, Administrators

Group: Anyone on the web

Service desk customer - portal access

Configuration for "Customer Permissions" in "Project Setting":

Who can raise requests?

Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal

Who can customers share requests with?

Any customer, by typing an email address

Please help. Let me know if any other details required.

Regards

Manjit Modi

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

Well, my answer has always been that for the incoming email to be considered a comment then the issue key must be in the subject line. With that said, in a very recent test using Gmail I found that if I, as a customer, replied to my original request it actually updated the ticket which shattered all previous laws of physics. :-)

In the end, the only way to reliably ensure an email reply doesn't create a new ticket is to respond to one of the notifications that come back to the customer, e.g. the create issue notification.

Manjit Modi November 19, 2020

Thanks Jack for answer. Same feature is working reliably in some other JIRA instance but not sure why it does not work here. Sometimes customer who is raising issue does not want notifications so we have to turn notifications off. For such customers we still want all replies to be captured in JIRA.

Is there any solution?

Suggest an answer