New issues are being assigned to backlog, with status ToDo, but there is no Backlog column

Mike Blyth March 18, 2021

I'm pretty new to Jira and don't understand a lot. Here's what's happening. A board has columns "To Do", "In progress", "Done", and "On Hold". The workflow is:

2021-03-18_12-07-30.png

When an issue is created within Slack, it is given a status of "To Do" but is assigned to the Backlog somehow. It does not appear on the board though it has a status of "To Do", but does appear in the issues list and in the backlog. 

• What can I do to (a) force new items to go into the ToDo column and not the backlog or (b) add a Backlog column to the board?
  • What is going on that somehow puts issues into the backlog when there is not even a backlog status or column, and when the workflow says new issues should have the "To Do" status?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2021

Hey Mike!

Can you grab a screenshot of the "Board" area in the project settings?  

chrome_2021-03-18_16-26-47.png

My guess is that you have something odd going on in there, but it's hard to be sure without seeing the behind-the-scenes bits.

Mike Blyth March 18, 2021

2021-03-18_13-35-13.png

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2021

OK, that's very puzzling - this looks right, at first glance. 

The next place to check is the automation rules (global, and projec specific) to see if anything is happening.  You might instead want to go into one of the tickets in the backlog and check its history - it will tell you if any rules have been applied to it since creation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events