New UI: one kanban board for multiple projects

Viktoras Puzas September 21, 2017

We have been trying out the new UI for some time now and the biggest issue we have, is the concept of moving Kanban board(s) under the specific project. 

In the current UI, all boards live under menu of their own, however with the new UI they buried deeply in menu under a specific project. As we are using "one board multiple projects" approach, it doesn't make any sense to search for a board under the specific project.

It is possible to change the "location" of the board to be put under "My profile", however that makes it impossible to navigate to the board for other team members. 

So the question is, if it is possible somehow to put Kanban board above project level, not under? Or at least to keep it as it is in the current design?

4 answers

1 vote
Andreas Lärkfeldt March 29, 2021

Another "solution" / "workaround" for some scenarios ...

Say you want to give a group access to a specific Board, but not to a specific project (of course a user need permission to access - view/read and so on).

You could then actually create a project - and limit creation of issues - and add a Board for ONLY this projects (containing issues from one or many projects). That board will then need a new filter - but this could be a copy of the ones being used elsewhere :)

In our case we have an empty project acting as a container for a Board which displays issues from many projects - so a small group of users (in our case Planners) have access to their own project. Well well maybe not needed for anybody else, but it works for us :)

Enjoy!

1 vote
Heily Hindrea January 30, 2018

I am so with you guys! I am just setting up the structure in JIRA for our team as we are switching to follow the LeSS model (https://less.works/). This is right now the exact problem I face with the new view - I need a board to be not tied to a project or individual - I need it EASILY accessible for everyone as the board is for the TEAM, that will work across multiple platforms (in our case: platform = JIRA project). 

So, it does not make sense at all to have a global board tied to a project or an individual :(. But 

I guess for now we need to tie it to any of those and tell to the team to just BOOKMARK the board or go through Recent Boards.

0 votes
Joshua Balsillie December 14, 2017

@Viktoras Puzas

So I think I may have figured this out. All boards seem to be global scope, and the association piece seems to be to ensure boards are not lost.

The same way an issue should always be given an assignee so someone is accountable for it, assigning boards to users or projects ensures an individual or team using that project are accountable for the board.

From what I've experienced, any user can search for any board. The difference is when viewing the board, a user may or may not see issues in the board. This is because whether or not a user sees issues in the board is controlled by the filter permissions the board uses.

Solution

Give users access to the filter(s) the board uses.

Users should now be able to go to search > Recent Boards > View all boards and find it.

While this may not be exactly what you were looking for it's the closest I came up with.

How to Test

You can test this by setting up a dummy "John Doe" profile and a "test" group. If you add John Doe to the test group, then add the test group to all the filters used by your board, John Doe will have full access to the board.

0 votes
mike Kinloch November 6, 2017

Hi,

Yes you can put it under your profile.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/boards-in-the-new-jira-experience-937886048.html

This doesn;t give the step by step but states it's possible.

Mike Kinloch

Head of Development

Intelligent Enviornments.

Viktoras Puzas November 6, 2017

Hi,

as mentioned in the question this approach does not work as it makes it impossible to navigate to the board for other team members. 

Like Alexander Soutas likes this
Michael Kinloch November 6, 2017

Ah yes sorry.  I'm with you now.

Yeah, I get why the made the change to put them under projects but this does cause an issue.

What about creating a generic project (that u don'  out any issues under but have the custom query for all projects) and assigning it to that.

Not ideal but you should be able to keep it under one project.

Our application supprt team use this approach.  They have an AST project that they don' log anything against but use a cross project query for the board associated with that project to pull in all the other project tickets.

Like Andreas Lärkfeldt likes this
Viktoras Puzas November 6, 2017

Yes, it is possible to find/create workarounds for the issue, but nevertheless those still remain a workaround.

It is also possible to add a direct link in the customizable menu on left side. However, all those semi-solutions feels like fighting against the intended structure. 

Hopefully, by the time this "new design" becomes "current design" those all small "improvements" will be fixed.

Joshua Balsillie December 14, 2017

Guessing there hasn't been any progress on this in the past month. I agree with @Viktoras Puzas that boards should be independent of projects, just like dashboards, filters and many other settings in Jira.

Just read the article that @mike Kinloch posted and saw the following:

Boards in the new Jira experience

"Previously, there were global boards that contained work from multiple projects. Those are a thing of the past."

All I can say is why? Seems like this just restricts the functionality with little benefit. Good for teams that only manage one project type, bad for everyone else.

Joao Pedro Portela June 20, 2019

Fast-forwarding almost 2 years, still the same problem. :/

Like # people like this
Inna Ginzburg September 23, 2019

That's true. I really need it too

Suggest an answer