It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

New Process for Research team

Hi,

I'm currently planning to implement a new process/workflow for my data science and developer team. Since most of the tasks carried by them are research-based, I'm unable to put a process around it which would help me with my sprint matrix wherein I track the task completed by them or the entire work achieved by their team.

The research task is an experimental one where in they figure out which approach they have to proceed with and this in turn is kind of trial and error method. One they figure out a definite approach, data science team hands that approach to data dev for implementation.

Any guidance on how to make a process around this? 

1 answer

0 votes

Hello Anand,

Thank you for reaching out.

Understanding that you are trying to implement a process to your research team which can not be measured in a simple estimation and tracking, I would recommend you to use JIRA Kanban projects.

As you can see in this article, Kanban is a way to use JIRA in continuous delivery of results, where changes can happen at any time and be tracked along the process. Specifically, this is the approach you can use:

1 - For each new approach your data science and developer team will be testing, they can create a new task in the Kanban project. In that task, they will come up with all the details they will be testing during the process.

2 - Set two statuses to be the final ones in your workflow: Applicable or Not applicableOnce they come up with a final definition if that approach is applicable or not, they will be setting that issue with the relevant status.

3 - Once the approach is confirmed as applicable, create another linked issue (Preferably in another project) so the data dev will start to work on that for implementation.

4 - Optionally, you can create versions to track the number of approaches for a specific research topic, tracking how much time effort was invested on that and how many approaches were tried by your team:

Configuring versions in a Kanban project

Let me know if this information helps.

@peter

Thanks a ton:) This is helpful. I'll try to formulate a process around your suggestion.

You are welcome, Anand.

Let me know how it goes and doesn't hesitate to contact me again in case you have any questions. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

231 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you