New Process for Research team

Anand Vardhan September 23, 2019

Hi,

I'm currently planning to implement a new process/workflow for my data science and developer team. Since most of the tasks carried by them are research-based, I'm unable to put a process around it which would help me with my sprint matrix wherein I track the task completed by them or the entire work achieved by their team.

The research task is an experimental one where in they figure out which approach they have to proceed with and this in turn is kind of trial and error method. One they figure out a definite approach, data science team hands that approach to data dev for implementation.

Any guidance on how to make a process around this? 

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hello Anand,

Thank you for reaching out.

Understanding that you are trying to implement a process to your research team which can not be measured in a simple estimation and tracking, I would recommend you to use JIRA Kanban projects.

As you can see in this article, Kanban is a way to use JIRA in continuous delivery of results, where changes can happen at any time and be tracked along the process. Specifically, this is the approach you can use:

1 - For each new approach your data science and developer team will be testing, they can create a new task in the Kanban project. In that task, they will come up with all the details they will be testing during the process.

2 - Set two statuses to be the final ones in your workflow: Applicable or Not applicableOnce they come up with a final definition if that approach is applicable or not, they will be setting that issue with the relevant status.

3 - Once the approach is confirmed as applicable, create another linked issue (Preferably in another project) so the data dev will start to work on that for implementation.

4 - Optionally, you can create versions to track the number of approaches for a specific research topic, tracking how much time effort was invested on that and how many approaches were tried by your team:

Configuring versions in a Kanban project

Let me know if this information helps.

Anand Vardhan September 26, 2019

@peter

Thanks a ton:) This is helpful. I'll try to formulate a process around your suggestion.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

You are welcome, Anand.

Let me know how it goes and doesn't hesitate to contact me again in case you have any questions. :)

Charles Heynes July 13, 2021

Hi,

I too wanted to find a simpler process which could be formulated for our Developers who do a research for an unknown impediment or not common method followed. 

Since we have a weekly sprint configured would it help if we create a daily story task /issue in Jira to track the daily progress and document best practices, white paper and other links as part of the research work done.  Also link any other tasks which ultimately need to be worked upon based on the outcome of this research to these cards. 

Benefits would be to have a systematic and detailed view on such research work/Unknown method to be followed. The effort hours tracked and also if we need to have the research work documented in detail which could be used for another similar project in future. 

Please advise if this can be done or the delimits of following such a process. Also if there is any other suggestion you can provide for a project of a weekly sprint. 

Thank you

Charles Heynes

Heba July 20, 2022

Hello Anand,

You explained exactly what I am going through now. Is the approach suggested by Petter working for you, or did you find a better process? 

Suggest an answer