Nested tasks under Epic showing seperately on Kanban Board

Oliver Ridgill
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 2, 2022

Hi,

First time using Jira boards so i could be way off.

I'm using Epics to manage sub-projects and within the epics I've nested tasks and then sub-tasks.

In list view this is fine and everything is nested just how I would like. When I go to board view it is showing the Epic as a card and then the nested task (with sub-tasks) as separate cards.

In this test example, I have 1 Epic Task with 2 tasks nested each task has 2-3 subtasks. On the board I want to display this as one card just the Epic task but I'm getting 3 cards.

Any help gratefully reccieved.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hi Oliver - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project are you using? Team-managed? Company-managed? Jira Work Management? 

I suspect it is Jira Work Management (Business project) by the way you described it. And if so, that's the current functionality on those types of boards. 

What type of work is going done on these projects? 

Colton Zarowny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 15, 2024

Hey John, I have the same issue.

We are managing an app. We have each section of the app as an epic. Then we have User Stories, bugs, and tasks for each section of our app.

Under those, we sometimes have subtasks. 

I want to manage each of these subtasks separately on the board. I do NOT want to see a parent with all the subtasks grouped under it. Some of the subtasks we don't actually want to work on for another year but we want to manage the progress of others from start to done. 

How can I setup a project so that I can group everything into categories the way I have it but still manage the sub tasks separately? 

If it would give me the option to create a task as a subtask and manage that separately, I would be happy with that. I feel like I have tried everything. Please help me out.

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi Colton - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

In the future, it is best to create a new question in the Community so more people will see it.  :-)

Same questions for you as for Oliver above - what type of project is it? 

I would actually use Components to separate your work in to "categories". 

Colton Zarowny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 20, 2024

What type of project should it be to do what I outlined? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2024

A Kanban project is fine.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events