Nested filtering (again)

Joel Blazquez June 23, 2021

I have a number of Epics that belong to different projects/delivery teams and to a number of Initiatives.

I want to create filter that returns all the Epics that are children of those initiatives. Again, as they belong to different projects I lose the ability to use that in the filter. Also, I need it dynamic. I want to avoid using a static list in (initiative_2, initiative_2,...). Also, I want to avoid using labels, as those can be changed easily and issue creators may forget to label new issues.

My idea is to have:

Filter_1 = ListOfInitiatives

Filter_2 = issueType = Epic AND parentLink in ([Filter_1])

Search: filter = Filter_2

I have seen some threads that mention a couple of add-ons to accomplish what I need. Is there a way to do it with the core product, no add-ons?

Should we just get an admin to add a custom field and make it mandatory?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 24, 2021

Hi @Joel Blazquez ,

It's not possible to get the results you're looking for with standard JQL. For one off-jobs you can get away with Excel export.

In your case, however, you really should consider installing an app. This way everything will be automatically handled by the indexing service. While you are researching solutions, you may consider our cloud indexing service:

After installing the app you'll be able to search for children of your initiatives:

issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("project in ('ACME', 'DEV') and type=Initiative")

You can find out more in the docs.

I hope it's useful!
Daniel

Suggest an answer