Nested Active Directory Group users don't sync?

Bart Hipp August 20, 2014

I know this has been asked in the past, but I'm wondering if there is any update. Here's my scenario: We have Group 1 and 2 in Active Directory. Group 2 is a member of Group 1. We have users A, B, C, and D in AD. Users A and B are members of Group 1. Users C and D are members of Group 2.

JIRA is configured to Enable Nested Groups on the User Directory and set to Read Only. We have AD Group 1 set as JIRA Users in Global Permissions. JIRA sees ONLY the members of Group 1 and lets them log in. It doesn't see the members of Group 2 as having the JIRA Users Global Permissions. Is there ANY way around this?

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

Hi Bart, newer versions of JIRA support nested groups. Judging by your description and since the option Enable Nested Groups maked in your LDAP directory configuration, you should see Group 1 listing users A, B, C and D as as members of it in JIRA administration.

In case you have LDAP filters to restrict the synchronization scope, note that both groups (Group 1 and Group 2) need to be pulled to JIRA, otherwise JIRA won't understand that there are nested members.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer