Need to clear 'done' issues from the backlog view

Monica McJunkin March 9, 2021

I'm helping out with a new team, and they requested the ability to mark issues as obsolete vs. done, and vs. deleting them outright.  I added 'obsolete' as a done status, and suddenly all the previous 'done' cards are showing up in our backlog, cluttering the view.   We are using sprints, not kanban.

Why are done issues in the backlog at all, and how do I clear them?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

I would guess your "obsolete" or "done" issues are not mapped into the right-hand column on the board.

Monica McJunkin March 9, 2021

They are now mapped into separate columns on the board, and the obsolete cards are disappearing from the backlog.  So I take it that if I map both statuses to the same 'final' column on the board, that will translate to removing them from the backlog?

Like blim likes this
blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

@Monica McJunkin to clarify, are the "Done" issues in the 2nd to last column appearing in the new sprint (when a sprint is closed are issues being moved to a new sprint)? Or are they showing up specifically in the "Backlog" section of the backlog?

Monica McJunkin March 11, 2021

I hadn't closed the current sprint yet when I asked my question.  I'm new to next-gen projects and thought every issue in a status that has a 'done' category (vs. 'to do' or 'in progress') would NOT appear in the backlog, since the backlog is clearly for work that is not yet done yet.  

The problem appeared when I created an 'obsolete' status, which automatically mapped that status to a new column in the right-most column on the board.  At that point, hundreds of previously 'done' issues turned up in the backlog.

However, with Nic's help, I understood that any issues in a terminal/completed status would need to be in the same right-most column instead of mapped to their own columns.  As soon as I took care of that, the problem was solved.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events