Need to Tag Issue to Component based on Board

Shrikant Bijapurkar _NTT DATA_ April 25, 2023

My project has 2 Boards A and B

When an Issue is created on Board A, I want to set the Component/s field to "Comp A".

When an Issue is created on Board B, I want to set the Component/s field to "Comp B".

Above can be achieved via automation by putting If - Else condition on Board name.

But it seems it is impossible to use Board name in JQL.

Is there any alternate way to fulfill this requirement?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Shrikant Bijapurkar _NTT DATA_ 

Every board has behind it a JQL. So instead of trying to use the board in your JQL, use the whole board filter on your JQL (ref: here and here).

I mean, what is the main differentiating reason behind board A and B? Use this to set the components via automation.

Shrikant Bijapurkar _NTT DATA_ April 26, 2023

Thanks Alex.

That makes sense and I tried doing the same when I started on this requirement.

The need is to set the Component/s field to Comp A, "at the time of creating Issue".
The Board filter on Board A shows all Issues that have "Comp A" component.

So, its Chicken and Egg. Board A query cannot find the Issue since "Comp A" is not set AND its not possible to set "Comp A" since its not possible to know the Board on which it is created.

Here is the actual Board Filter Query:
project = SPL AND issuetype != "Risk&Issue" AND component in ("Software SDK") ORDER BY Rank ASC

The need is to set value of Issue's Component/s field to "Software SDK", when its created on "Software SDK" board. We want to have a If Else in Automation to allow doing the same for another Board on the project "Core Toolchains".

"Software SDK" and "Core Toolchains" are Components on SPL project (pls see the attached).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I hope I have been able to articulate the requirement clearly.Components.png

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Thank you for the clarification @Shrikant Bijapurkar _NTT DATA_ !

From the image you pasted, it looks that you are on jira server/DC (on premise) and not on cloud as you initially posted on this question. This makes things a bit easier :)

In order to achieve what you want you have to first identify when an issue is going to be placed on board A. And the answer to that, is NOT "when it will have the comp A". You need a business requirement for that.E.g.:

"Issues of type "risk" or "bug" must have component A, thus they will be appearing in board A.

On the other hand, issues of type task, subtask and story, should have component B and thus they will be visible only on board B"

Once you get this, you can create your If/then/else automation and either use:

• Jira automation to place the appropriate component value
  • A post function within your workflows to set the component value
  • Scriptrunner's behavior to change from the create screen the value of the component and make it read only

But in order to make any of the above solution, you need to clarify with your company/boss/colleagues the main differentiating reasons of when an issue is going to have comp A value and when comp B value.

Hope that makes sense :)

And here is the Query Filter for "Core Toolchains" Board - 

project = SPL AND component in ("Core Toolchain") AND (issuetype = Epic AND (labels != tech-debt OR labels is EMPTY) OR issuetype in (Story, Task, Sub-task, Bug, "Risk&Issue")) ORDER BY Rank ASC

As with "Software SDK" the need is to set the value of Component/s field to "Core Toolchain" when the Issue is raised on Core Toolchain Board.

Makes sense, Alex.

Thank you so much.

Let me check again with the team thats requesting this.

And Yes, you guessed it right.

This is Jira on Data Center (On Premise).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events